book of interest

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2008
      I just got my copy in of the following. I very strongly recommend it.
      In addition to the well illustrated book is the accompanying CDRom of
      528 images of finds, etc. Everything from gaming pieces to musical
      instruments, tools, etc.

      Beth

      Wood Use in Medieval Novgorod edited by Mark Brisbane and Jon Hather.
      Hardcover 336p, b/w illus (Oxbow Books 2007) ISBN-13:
      978-1-84217-276-6 ISBN-10: 1-84217-276-X

      "Novgorod has probably the most comprehensive collection of excavated
      wooden objects and structures from any site in the world. The town
      and its material culture were completely dominated by wood. Equally
      important, the preservation of this material has been excellent due
      to benign anaerobic waterlogged conditions. This book describes
      various aspects of the use of wood in medieval Novgorod in
      twenty-five chapters written by the world's leading authorities on
      this material. It provides fascinating detail on the way wooden
      material was used in structures such as buildings, streets, yards,
      fences; industrial activity, for example spinning and weaving,
      footwear production; transport, such as skis, sleighs or boats;
      household objects, for example containers, furniture, combs, toys and
      games; musical instruments; accountancy and commerce (tally sticks,
      tribute seals); and ritual and decoration. Most of the objects
      discussed date from the 10th century AD to the 15th, but the book
      includes comparisons to ethnographic evidence from more recent
      periods. Importantly, many of the chapters are written by Russian
      authors, bringing their work to the English audience for the first
      time.A bibliography of previously published material and extensive
      illustration make this volume a necessary addition to any serious
      archaeological research library shelf and the wealth of information
      provided about everyday life in this important medieval centre of
      commerce will be a great interest to medievalists and historians of Russia."