Re: Bow lathe video rough draft

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 13 10:00 AM
      I agree, very well done. I've wanted to make a lathe to take to
      events but I always get caught up in thinking to big and
      complicated. This seems much better, and there's always little
      things that could be turned as needed. You've been a huge
      inspiration.

      Thank you!

      In Service to the Dream,
      Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
      Ashgrove, barony of Angels, Caid

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
      <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

      > Nice work!!! I really love the set up pics in front that give a
      context to
      > the your lathe. Nice camera work too. neat way to present the
      content.
      > Bravo!
      >

      > Chas.
      >

      > =============================
      >
      > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
      > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.
      > http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%
      20experiment/?actio
      > n=view
      > <http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%
      20experiment/?acti
      > on=view¤t=BowLathe.flv> ¤t=BowLathe.flv
      > --
      > MacGregor Historic Games

    • Michael T Combs
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 13 10:39 AM
        I have considered making a flywheel lathe for demos and recruit viewers to power the flywheel.  DaVinci had a great design!
        Michaeus

        wrote:

        > Nice work!!! I really love the set up pics in front that give a
        context to
        > the your lathe. Nice camera work too. neat way to present the
        content.
        > Bravo!
        >

        > Chas.
        >

        > =============================
        >
        > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
        > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.
        > http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%
        20experiment/?actio
        > n=view
        > 20experiment/?acti
        > on=view¤t=BowLathe.flv> ¤t=BowLathe.flv
        > --
        > MacGregor Historic Games

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • gameresearch
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 13 11:14 AM
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Michael T Combs <stmike7@...>
          wrote:

          > I have considered making a flywheel lathe for demos and recruit
          viewers to power the flywheel. DaVinci had a great design!
          > Michaeus

          Check out this video of a British turner using a lathe based on Da Vinci's
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3IiQyyb7Y

          I've been planning on making a smaller version using an old grinding
          stone we salvaged from a family farm as the flywheel.

          Chas
          --
          MacGregor Games
          http://historicgames.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 13 12:14 PM
            That's the direction that I had always been headed before, but the
            great wheel lathes are inherently less portable. First there's the
            size and weight of the flywheel in transit. And then the lathe frame
            has to be that much more solid/substantial to deal with the mass.
            Period bearings and shafts must be scaled up from what we see in
            modern lathes and the general machine wear and maintenance goes up
            with the overall loads.

            These reasons and general procrastination are probably why the only
            lathe I own today was made by Jet. Perhaps the Bow lathe design can
            provide the practical aspects that have been getting in my way.

            Eirikr

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gameresearch" <myspace@...>
            wrote:

            > I've been planning on making a smaller version using an old grinding
            > stone we salvaged from a family farm as the flywheel.
            >
            > Chas
            > --
            > MacGregor Games
            > http://historicgames.com

          • gameresearch
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 23 7:42 PM

              http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?action=view¤t=BowLathe.flv
              > --
              > MacGregor Historic Games
              > http://historicgames.com

              Since I am working on a video of my bow powered lathe I decided to
              start collecting a list of recommended videos on YouTube showing
              man-powered lathes as part of my Early Wood Turning website.
              http://www.historicgames.com/lathes/videos.html

              Chas
              --
              MacGregor Historic Games
              http://historicgames.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 24 5:04 PM
                wrote:

                > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
                > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.

                http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?action=view¤t=BowLathe.flv
                > --
                > MacGregor Historic Games
                > http://historicgames.com

                An updated version of my video with narration is now available on
                YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nf_AzM_kE

                Chas
                --
                MacGregor Historic Games
                http://historicgames.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 25 2:25 PM
                  That's pretty cool. Do you feel you have sufficient control using one
                  hand? I imagine that takes some getting used to. I built a small bow
                  lathe several years ago but have never used it because I really don't
                  have any project that requires turning (I just wanted to build it).

                  Guillaume

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 25 3:29 PM
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...> wrote:

                    > That's pretty cool. Do you feel you have sufficient control using one
                    > hand? I imagine that takes some getting used to. I built a small bow
                    > lathe several years ago but have never used it because I really don't
                    > have any project that requires turning (I just wanted to build it).

                    It takes some practice, but there's plenty of control, the lace making
                    bobbins shown at the end of the video were all turned on that lathe.
                    Although I did originally start out working with a variation on a
                    spring pole lathe so I had some experience before I started
                    experimenting with the bow lathe.

                    Chas
                    --
                    MacGregor Games
                    http://historicgames.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 31 6:47 AM
                          Greetings group,

                      I am a one year old member of the SCA, and I have been to a several events now. I have competed only on the Archery range thus far.

                      I also make many things of wood, pottery, and chain maile. I have been asked by a few about selling these things, my current direction is making arrows, and bows, mostly for my knowledge, but have givin selling these items more thought. I was at coronation this past weekend, and there was one merchant who was selling bows, and arrows, the bows all appeared to be bows from bow making companies, and not sure if there was a bow made by their hand or not. Most looked to be mass produced and ordered thru their company for sale at the event.

                      I am looking to sell some of my woodworking items, feast boxes, Horn Holders, some chainmail jewlery, plates, and goblets hand painted by my wife, and hopefully handmade bows from me, and arrows I make. Also would like to offer arrow repair services for archers who may need of this.

                      I guess what I am asking is would the other take offense to me selling these things, what about the rest of the kingdom? I own my own company a software company, so running a business is not a problem. I just dont know how I will be seen/taken by selling items while my membership in the sca is so new.....

                      I would appreciate any advice from others who work and play in the sca.....

                      peace
                      Gavin
                    • leaking pen
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 31 6:57 AM
                        Wow. Those are some pretty big words for a one year old. (sorry,
                        old joke, had to butcher it)

                        Competition is the backbone of free enterprise. If you can produce and
                        sell either cheaper or better goods, do it. (if you can do both at the
                        same time, Yippee!)

                        Actual sca membership is generally not something required to sell in
                        the first place. Although ive been told a lot of wars give you table
                        discounts if you are.

                        --
                        That which yields isn't always weak.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 31 7:10 AM

                          You will find that while some folks will try to tell you that “in the SCA we . . .”

                          What I’ve learned after 20 years of doing this is that what offends people is regional.  So I won’t try and speak for the SCA, but I’ll speak for Meridies.

                          Nobody down here is going to be offended if you go into the Merchant biz, either as an artisan, or as a vendor.  You should be able to hang out your shingle at events without offending anybody.  Nobody gets to stake out territory in a particular medium (woodworking) or service (arrow repair) and claim a monopoly.

                          As far as I know, the only way you can offend somebody by doing your art down here is to snag somebody’s design and use it without permission.  Most artisans are willing to help each other out with their medium, but taking somebody else’s design without permission will get you in deep artistic soup.

                          Brace your self to not make a lot of money though.  SCA folks like it CHEAP.

                          Will

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 31 7:51 AM
                            Thank you all! Some have posted privatly others publicly, I want to thank you for taking the time to help this "Newbie"

                            I am not going to be doing anything resembling anyone elses design or copy/plaguerize anyones work. I am wanting to do this to one, show off my work, two, provide a service, and three, not expecting to make any money at all. hopefully enough to re-coup costs, or buy a burger when im hungry. I do enjoy playing so probably wont even be running my booth, instead will most likely leave the selling to the wife, or the teen daughter who doenst care to "Live in the Dream" but instead would rather learn to become a lawyer. (hoping one day she can take care of us too :)

                            Obviosuly will have stuff priced already so the daughter can sell, and while playing hope to drum up more business. and of course come back to do the few custom jobs like arrow repair, or custom fletching.

                            one final question, how many merchants, woodworkers , make some of the stuff on-site say as a demo or to finish up a custom peice for the customer who is expecting it that weekend? Just trying to get an idea how much of this stuff should I take into the field with me and how much to leave home. I have a very limited inventory, and would most likely need to take orders, and build when i got home. and send or deliver the peice at the next event.

                            Thanks again for your time.

                            Gavin

                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 31 8:11 AM

                              I end up taking most of my tools to war.  I can’t help myself.

                              But I’m so slow at this that I just pick at projects, except for repairs, which I seem to be able to crank out fairly quickly.

                              Will

                              From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Oakes, George

                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
                                Hello to a fellow boyer. If you are serious about making bows there is
                                a series called the traditional boyer's bible by Bois D'arc press.
                                These 3 book will take you step by step into the world of bows arrows
                                and tackle. Now it is time to ask yourself how nuts are you? Myself am
                                quite mental as I hand make my bows %100 by hand using old antique
                                tools. Some things to consider as well. If you are making bows for
                                war, OVERBUILD them. If your client says they want a bow that is 27
                                inches draw length make it pull to about 30+ as many Archery Marshals
                                do not understand that a good wood bow is 9/10th broken, meaning the
                                bow when pulled to its draw is set for that draw and may break or be
                                damaged if pulled past it.
                                Is the client a compound shooter? If so remind them a wood bow has no
                                let off and they have to retrain music memory to have an even pull,
                                not a quick jerk to break the letoff. If you pull a wood bow fast the
                                wood may not have enough time to react and my break.
                                Most any wood will make a bow. I made a bow out of douglas fir on a
                                bet. Belive it or not a flat bow is period and works well in any wood.
                                A "D" bow is limited to select woods, yew, osage maple and hickory are
                                the best for this.
                                As to fletching thats a different can o worms. Do you want period as
                                in tied to the shaft or is gluing what your going for? I tie my arrows
                                and have learned to not use a jig.
                                If you want to talk more about this Email me brassbow@...
                                Carvin Asche
                                in mundamia aka Richard Cunningham
                              • Bob Nelson
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
                                  Can you provide any info on how to make an English
                                  long-bow, as they were made in medieval times?

                                  To start with, just how long were they?
                                  What kind of arrows (and heads) did they shoot?
                                  What kind of wood was used ( I have heard it was
                                  always from the Yew tree, but don't really know for
                                  sure)?
                                  What was the typical draw length?

                                  Isaac Asimov wrote a brief history of two battles
                                  the English had with the French, where the out-
                                  numbered English completely annihilated an
                                  entire generation of French knights (on French
                                  soil), and then did it again about 75 years
                                  later after the French had forgotten how deadly
                                  the longbow was. The French did not have the
                                  longbow because they were unwilling to follow
                                  the English example of establishing an entire
                                  new "middle-class)" (between nobles and laborers)
                                  to man the longbow. It is fascinating history.

                                  But just what were the characteristics of the
                                  genuine longbow? There must still be some on
                                  exhibit in English museums, I would think.

                                  Cheers - Bob Nelson
                                • leaking pen
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
                                    Most everyone ive seen with stands up that are limited in scope to
                                    just what they make themselves will have pieces they are working on.
                                    If nothing else, it helps draw in customers. Also, haveing ran other
                                    stand up shops before elsewhere, you will have busy times, and you
                                    will have slack times. Having something to do during slack is
                                    probably very very good.