Bow lathe video rough draft

  • gameresearch
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008
      There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
      little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.
      http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?action=view¤t=BowLathe.flv
      --
      MacGregor Historic Games
      http://historicgames.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008

        Nice work!!!   I really love the set up pics in front that give a context to the your lathe.   Nice camera work too…  neat way to present the content.  Bravo!

        Chas.

        =============================

        http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?action=view&current=BowLathe.flv
        --
        MacGregor Historic Games

      • gameresearch
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008
          Thanks!
          The other Chas ;-)

          Chas
          --
          MacGregor Historic Games
          http://historicgames.com

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
          <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

          > Nice work!!! I really love the set up pics in front that give a
          context to
          > the your lathe. Nice camera work too. neat way to present the
          content.
          > Bravo!
          >

          > Chas.
          >

          > =============================
          >
          > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
          > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.

          http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?actio
          > n=view

          <http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?acti
          > on=view¤t=BowLathe.flv> ¤t=BowLathe.flv
          > --
          > MacGregor Historic Games

        • Rebekah d'Avignon
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008
            I clicked on the link....things flash, but no pictures. What's up?

            gameresearch <myspace@...> wrote:

            > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
            > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.

            http://s19.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b160/Groomporter /video%20experim ent/?actio
            > n=view

            <http://s19.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b160/Groomporter /video%20experim ent/?acti
            > on=view&current= BowLathe. flv> &current=BowLathe. flv
            > --
            > MacGregor Historic Games

            RdA
            A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

          • Jason Lewis
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008
              Very cool video, I am currently working on a bow lathe myself so this
              is actually very helpful for me, thank you kindly.

              Ademar de Chartres (tentative name ;) changing personas)
            • gameresearch
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008
                Try this link The way yahoo wraps around lonf URLs sometimes breaks
                the link, (or you may need update a plug-in on your browser)

                http://tinyurl.com/28vr8b

                Chas
                --
                MacGregor Games
                http://historicgames.com

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon
                <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

                > I clicked on the link....things flash, but no pictures. What's up?
                >
                > gameresearch <myspace@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
                > > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.

                http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?actio
                > > n=view

                <http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?acti
                > > on=view¤t=BowLathe.flv> ¤t=BowLathe.flv
                > > --
                > > MacGregor Historic Games
                > >

                > RdA
                > A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                Try it now.

              • Eric
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008
                  I agree, very well done. I've wanted to make a lathe to take to
                  events but I always get caught up in thinking to big and
                  complicated. This seems much better, and there's always little
                  things that could be turned as needed. You've been a huge
                  inspiration.

                  Thank you!

                  In Service to the Dream,
                  Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                  Ashgrove, barony of Angels, Caid

                  <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

                  > Nice work!!! I really love the set up pics in front that give a
                  context to
                  > the your lathe. Nice camera work too. neat way to present the
                  content.
                  > Bravo!
                  >

                  > Chas.
                  >

                  > =============================
                  >
                  > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
                  > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.
                  > http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%
                  20experiment/?actio
                  > n=view
                  > <http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%
                  20experiment/?acti
                  > on=view¤t=BowLathe.flv> ¤t=BowLathe.flv
                  > --
                  > MacGregor Historic Games

                • Michael T Combs
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008
                    I have considered making a flywheel lathe for demos and recruit viewers to power the flywheel.  DaVinci had a great design!
                    Michaeus

                    wrote:

                    > Nice work!!! I really love the set up pics in front that give a
                    context to
                    > the your lathe. Nice camera work too. neat way to present the
                    content.
                    > Bravo!
                    >

                    > Chas.
                    >

                    > =============================
                    >
                    > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
                    > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.
                    > http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%
                    20experiment/?actio
                    > n=view
                    > 20experiment/?acti
                    > on=view¤t=BowLathe.flv> ¤t=BowLathe.flv
                    > --
                    > MacGregor Historic Games

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • gameresearch
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Michael T Combs <stmike7@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I have considered making a flywheel lathe for demos and recruit
                      viewers to power the flywheel. DaVinci had a great design!
                      > Michaeus

                      Check out this video of a British turner using a lathe based on Da Vinci's
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3IiQyyb7Y

                      I've been planning on making a smaller version using an old grinding
                      stone we salvaged from a family farm as the flywheel.

                      Chas
                      --
                      MacGregor Games
                      http://historicgames.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 13, 2008
                        That's the direction that I had always been headed before, but the
                        great wheel lathes are inherently less portable. First there's the
                        size and weight of the flywheel in transit. And then the lathe frame
                        has to be that much more solid/substantial to deal with the mass.
                        Period bearings and shafts must be scaled up from what we see in
                        modern lathes and the general machine wear and maintenance goes up
                        with the overall loads.

                        These reasons and general procrastination are probably why the only
                        lathe I own today was made by Jet. Perhaps the Bow lathe design can
                        provide the practical aspects that have been getting in my way.

                        Eirikr

                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gameresearch" <myspace@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I've been planning on making a smaller version using an old grinding
                        > stone we salvaged from a family farm as the flywheel.
                        >
                        > Chas
                        > --
                        > MacGregor Games
                        > http://historicgames.com

                      • gameresearch
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 23, 2008
                          wrote:

                          > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
                          > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.

                          http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?action=view¤t=BowLathe.flv
                          > --
                          > MacGregor Historic Games
                          > http://historicgames.com

                          Since I am working on a video of my bow powered lathe I decided to
                          start collecting a list of recommended videos on YouTube showing
                          man-powered lathes as part of my Early Wood Turning website.
                          http://www.historicgames.com/lathes/videos.html

                          Chas
                          --
                          MacGregor Historic Games
                          http://historicgames.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 24, 2008
                            wrote:

                            > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
                            > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.

                            http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?action=view¤t=BowLathe.flv
                            > --
                            > MacGregor Historic Games
                            > http://historicgames.com

                            An updated version of my video with narration is now available on
                            YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nf_AzM_kE

                            Chas
                            --
                            MacGregor Historic Games
                            http://historicgames.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 25, 2008
                              That's pretty cool. Do you feel you have sufficient control using one
                              hand? I imagine that takes some getting used to. I built a small bow
                              lathe several years ago but have never used it because I really don't
                              have any project that requires turning (I just wanted to build it).

                              Guillaume

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 25, 2008
                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...> wrote:

                                > That's pretty cool. Do you feel you have sufficient control using one
                                > hand? I imagine that takes some getting used to. I built a small bow
                                > lathe several years ago but have never used it because I really don't
                                > have any project that requires turning (I just wanted to build it).

                                It takes some practice, but there's plenty of control, the lace making
                                bobbins shown at the end of the video were all turned on that lathe.
                                Although I did originally start out working with a variation on a
                                spring pole lathe so I had some experience before I started
                                experimenting with the bow lathe.

                                Chas
                                --
                                MacGregor Games
                                http://historicgames.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008
                                      Greetings group,

                                  I am a one year old member of the SCA, and I have been to a several events now. I have competed only on the Archery range thus far.

                                  I also make many things of wood, pottery, and chain maile. I have been asked by a few about selling these things, my current direction is making arrows, and bows, mostly for my knowledge, but have givin selling these items more thought. I was at coronation this past weekend, and there was one merchant who was selling bows, and arrows, the bows all appeared to be bows from bow making companies, and not sure if there was a bow made by their hand or not. Most looked to be mass produced and ordered thru their company for sale at the event.

                                  I am looking to sell some of my woodworking items, feast boxes, Horn Holders, some chainmail jewlery, plates, and goblets hand painted by my wife, and hopefully handmade bows from me, and arrows I make. Also would like to offer arrow repair services for archers who may need of this.

                                  I guess what I am asking is would the other take offense to me selling these things, what about the rest of the kingdom? I own my own company a software company, so running a business is not a problem. I just dont know how I will be seen/taken by selling items while my membership in the sca is so new.....

                                  I would appreciate any advice from others who work and play in the sca.....

                                  peace
                                  Gavin
                                • leaking pen
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008
                                    Wow. Those are some pretty big words for a one year old. (sorry,
                                    old joke, had to butcher it)

                                    Competition is the backbone of free enterprise. If you can produce and
                                    sell either cheaper or better goods, do it. (if you can do both at the
                                    same time, Yippee!)

                                    Actual sca membership is generally not something required to sell in
                                    the first place. Although ive been told a lot of wars give you table
                                    discounts if you are.

                                    --
                                    That which yields isn't always weak.
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008

                                      You will find that while some folks will try to tell you that “in the SCA we . . .”

                                      What I’ve learned after 20 years of doing this is that what offends people is regional.  So I won’t try and speak for the SCA, but I’ll speak for Meridies.

                                      Nobody down here is going to be offended if you go into the Merchant biz, either as an artisan, or as a vendor.  You should be able to hang out your shingle at events without offending anybody.  Nobody gets to stake out territory in a particular medium (woodworking) or service (arrow repair) and claim a monopoly.

                                      As far as I know, the only way you can offend somebody by doing your art down here is to snag somebody’s design and use it without permission.  Most artisans are willing to help each other out with their medium, but taking somebody else’s design without permission will get you in deep artistic soup.

                                      Brace your self to not make a lot of money though.  SCA folks like it CHEAP.

                                      Will

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008
                                        Thank you all! Some have posted privatly others publicly, I want to thank you for taking the time to help this "Newbie"

                                        I am not going to be doing anything resembling anyone elses design or copy/plaguerize anyones work. I am wanting to do this to one, show off my work, two, provide a service, and three, not expecting to make any money at all. hopefully enough to re-coup costs, or buy a burger when im hungry. I do enjoy playing so probably wont even be running my booth, instead will most likely leave the selling to the wife, or the teen daughter who doenst care to "Live in the Dream" but instead would rather learn to become a lawyer. (hoping one day she can take care of us too :)

                                        Obviosuly will have stuff priced already so the daughter can sell, and while playing hope to drum up more business. and of course come back to do the few custom jobs like arrow repair, or custom fletching.

                                        one final question, how many merchants, woodworkers , make some of the stuff on-site say as a demo or to finish up a custom peice for the customer who is expecting it that weekend? Just trying to get an idea how much of this stuff should I take into the field with me and how much to leave home. I have a very limited inventory, and would most likely need to take orders, and build when i got home. and send or deliver the peice at the next event.

                                        Thanks again for your time.

                                        Gavin

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008

                                          I end up taking most of my tools to war.  I can’t help myself.

                                          But I’m so slow at this that I just pick at projects, except for repairs, which I seem to be able to crank out fairly quickly.

                                          Will

                                          From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Oakes, George

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
                                            Hello to a fellow boyer. If you are serious about making bows there is
                                            a series called the traditional boyer's bible by Bois D'arc press.
                                            These 3 book will take you step by step into the world of bows arrows
                                            and tackle. Now it is time to ask yourself how nuts are you? Myself am
                                            quite mental as I hand make my bows %100 by hand using old antique
                                            tools. Some things to consider as well. If you are making bows for
                                            war, OVERBUILD them. If your client says they want a bow that is 27
                                            inches draw length make it pull to about 30+ as many Archery Marshals
                                            do not understand that a good wood bow is 9/10th broken, meaning the
                                            bow when pulled to its draw is set for that draw and may break or be
                                            damaged if pulled past it.
                                            Is the client a compound shooter? If so remind them a wood bow has no
                                            let off and they have to retrain music memory to have an even pull,
                                            not a quick jerk to break the letoff. If you pull a wood bow fast the
                                            wood may not have enough time to react and my break.
                                            Most any wood will make a bow. I made a bow out of douglas fir on a
                                            bet. Belive it or not a flat bow is period and works well in any wood.
                                            A "D" bow is limited to select woods, yew, osage maple and hickory are
                                            the best for this.
                                            As to fletching thats a different can o worms. Do you want period as
                                            in tied to the shaft or is gluing what your going for? I tie my arrows
                                            and have learned to not use a jig.
                                            If you want to talk more about this Email me brassbow@...
                                            Carvin Asche
                                            in mundamia aka Richard Cunningham
                                          • Bob Nelson
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
                                              Can you provide any info on how to make an English
                                              long-bow, as they were made in medieval times?

                                              To start with, just how long were they?
                                              What kind of arrows (and heads) did they shoot?
                                              What kind of wood was used ( I have heard it was
                                              always from the Yew tree, but don't really know for
                                              sure)?
                                              What was the typical draw length?

                                              Isaac Asimov wrote a brief history of two battles
                                              the English had with the French, where the out-
                                              numbered English completely annihilated an
                                              entire generation of French knights (on French
                                              soil), and then did it again about 75 years
                                              later after the French had forgotten how deadly
                                              the longbow was. The French did not have the
                                              longbow because they were unwilling to follow
                                              the English example of establishing an entire
                                              new "middle-class)" (between nobles and laborers)
                                              to man the longbow. It is fascinating history.

                                              But just what were the characteristics of the
                                              genuine longbow? There must still be some on
                                              exhibit in English museums, I would think.

                                              Cheers - Bob Nelson
                                            • leaking pen
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
                                                Most everyone ive seen with stands up that are limited in scope to
                                                just what they make themselves will have pieces they are working on.
                                                If nothing else, it helps draw in customers. Also, haveing ran other
                                                stand up shops before elsewhere, you will have busy times, and you
                                                will have slack times. Having something to do during slack is
                                                probably very very good.