Re: War beds - an slightly different question.

  • Peter Valentine
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2008

      We have been using a 4 poster which I made nigh unto 10 years ago which has held up admirably.  The four redwood turned wooden posts consist of 3 segments each which friction fit into each other with turned tenon joints and the portions of the posts which accepted the plywood head/foot boards and side rails are thru mortised to allow  tongues to pass through the post and held with wedges in a fashion similar to the osberg beds.  The overall look is of a 15th century 4 poster but I used wedges to hold the elements together.  The bed is a slat bed with most of the slats resting on a cleat inside the rails (one in the center passes through to keep the rails from spreading).  http://www.roguehaven.org/Events/Estrella2005/Estrel22.jpg

      This bed is a fusion of Osberg and late 15th century bed and is a compromise to my woodworking skills at the time.  It has stood up remarkable well.. .the only problem is the edge banding used to disguise the plywood has delaminated in a few spots requiring minor repair.  One day (when I get a round tuit) I plan on a much more accurate reproduction of a german 15th camp bed which was my original inspiration.

      Wolfgang