New Web Site for Chas. Oakley

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2008

       WELL… that sure went faster than I expected.   Just got the word that the website can now be found at:

      www.mastercharlesoakley.com

      I checked it out… there are two plans where the pictures didn’t show up… but then they weren’t on the livinghistory.org site either… gonna’ have to dig through my files and see if I can find em’ and fix the site up a bit.

      Chas.

    • logan
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2008

        has anyone made the bed listed on his site?  if so, please let us know of any issues or advancements you came up with.  and, if so, post some pictures.  my camp bed is five years old and is wonderful but is too large to pack for weekend events so it lives in my trailer at pennsic.  i need to make a smaller (take apart) bed for those weekend events.

        regards

        logan

        "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

        Niccolo Machiavelli

        www.ebonwoulfe.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 28, 2008

            Hey Logan,

            My own input on the “SCA bed” goes like this.  That is the one m’Lady and I have used for years.  I go 230 to 240 depending on the week and it’s held up well for many years… in fact, we still have it.   If your transport is a truck the plywood pieces for the platform work well if they’re the first parts in the bed of the truck.  The rest of it packs pretty small.    If I were to make it over again I’d probably consider making the legs just a touch taller (to slide things under the bed easier… )…    Using a futon on it *can* make it a rather… ummm… “firm” night’s rest…  particularly if the  futon begins to compress down… ;-)

            It’s a simple set up/tear down bed.  M’Lady has, on occasion set it up and taken it apart by herself without difficulty.

            Like you, I’d like to hear if anybody else has built it and what their perceptions were…

            Chas.

          • Jim Looper
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 28, 2008
              I made a queen-sized one for Brig and myself for Gulf Wars. Instead of using a rabbit and pocket mortise for the slat, I used 5 slats with mortise and tenons. It held up extremely well for GW, Midsummer's Twilight Tourney, and War of the Wings II. Looking at close to/slightly over 400 #'s of combined weight. I raised the bed a bit to fit our war totes under the bed (note: When I make another one, I will run another support from the head post to the foot post to add linear stability). When it is just me, I do not take the posts (used leftover pieces to make "corners" for a ground bed). I'd also recommend splitting the plywood lengthwise for compacting it further (those get a couple of old army blankets to lay between the wood and an air mattress to keep it from pinching a hole...)

              As a side question to the group as a whole: All wood beds squeak. I have been considering shaving the tenons down a wee bit and gluing felt to them as a noise dampener. Has anyone tried this or something similar? How about leather?

              Lucien

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
                I have noticed that if my Gokstad slat bed (based on the Oakley
                plans)only makes noise if the tenon pegs are beginning to loosen.
                With all the pegs snug, the bed is silent under a variety of dynamic
                stresses. ;)

                Yours in Service,
                Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Looper" <jimlooper@...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008

                  You need to use hardwood, though.  Or a good hard pine.  Soft framing lumber crushes at the joints, rounds off, and allows the pegs to work loose easier.

                  Squeekie-squeekie-squeekie

                  Will

                  wrote:

                  > As a side question to the group as a whole: All wood beds squeak.
                  I have been considering shaving the tenons down a wee bit and gluing
                  felt to them as a noise dampener. Has anyone tried this or something
                  similar? How about leather?

                  > Lucien

                • Lewis Newby
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
                    Having made several of these I have seen them put under some incredible weight loadings ( 6 large adults lounging around on one for instance ). Hardwood is a must on this scenario though. I have used Ash, Cherry, and Oak. My personal one is a queen size with Ash frame and white oak slats and has lasted for 8+ years at a couple hundred events and was used in my sons room for a while cause he liked it.

                    The one place I ran into a problem is with one particular couple and the gentleman was a little overzealous driving the pegs into the center slat and blew out the mortis twice. His lady has since told him if he does it again he has to fix it or make a new slat cause she won't ask me to again.

                    As for noise, when it is tight none can be heard, at Pennsic I have to re-tap them periodically because of weather conditions.

                    The tenons can be real knee knockers though so be sure and round them off well.

                    Lewis Newby Jr.                                                                                     Email: dragon@...
                              />                                                                                                     Aim: fariner
                             //      Draco Aliquando Vincint                                                     Yahoo: ian_the_fariner
                    (///////[0]=============================================-
                             \\       At some time the dragon shall conquer                           MSN: wyvernstr@...
                              \>                                                                                                     Blog: http://lewnewby.blogspot.com/

                  • jimlooper@embarqmail.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
                      Okay, it was at Gulf Wars where I ran into the problem; and we know how GW can be in regards to humidity shifts...

                      Lucien

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008

                        I’ve learned to avoid that by cross-pinning the mortise with a dowel.  It doesn’t take much.  Just a quarter-inch or so.

                        Will

                        Lewis Newby Jr. Email: dragon@neei. com

                        \\ At some time the dragon shall conquer MSN: wyvernstr@hotmail. com

                        wrote:

                        > As a side question to the group as a whole: All wood beds squeak.
                        class=apple-converted-space>

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 1 6:29 PM
                          my wife banged her knees one too many times and I
                          was instructed to find another way..

                          So I use these.....

                          http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10&filter=bed%20rail&cookietest=1

                          You can't see em once the bed is together, work great, not effected at all by humidity
                          no pegs to fall out or lose . ( my nod to the Creative part of our name.... )

                          And with a bed wrench, I'd go with a rope bed instead of slats anyway.....
                          The bed wrench works great and I've had no problem with sagging ropes.
                          The center support probably helps, but the ropes have never sagged enough
                          for me to be sure.

                          after trying both I will never go back to slats..... ever.

                          In fact since we are waiting for the Ikea to open near Cincinnati and the box
                          springs would not fit up the stairs in our new house, we are sleeping on the rope
                          bed right now.... If we do not find something we like at Ikea I'll just build a
                          rope bed for home use also....