Re: [MedievalSawdust] Bit and Brace

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2008
      I am a professional woodworker ["mundanely"] , as well as a re-enactor of the late-15th century Period in English and Breton History; - And I have a copy of "Before The Mast" [ beginning to look "well-used", because I have consulted it so much in creating "cool stuff " for our personal medieval encampment]..
      Looking at the illustrations of the surviving carpenters' tools in the book, - it does not seem to me to be too difficult to make replicas of the wooden brace,  the planes, etc. - - should I ever need such things - using my workshop's modern facilities .

      In Service to the Light, and to Drachenwald,
      Matthew Baker

      "Bruce S. R. Lee" <bsrlee2@...> wrote:
      The steel cranked shaft brace is definitely not period. There were
      wooden cranked shaft braces, but the off set of the crank seems to
      have been fairly small - far too easy to break the thing. They also
      seem to have had a fixed bit - no mechanical chucks. Unless you want
      to commi$$ion someone to make you one. ypu would be better off doing
      some research & making your own.

      'Before the Mast' from the Mary Rose Trust has the best exactly
      dateable carpentry tools within its pages. Otherwise there are a few
      books on 'museum grade' old tools from the pre-industrial age - 'The
      Art of Fine Tools' by Sandor Nagyszalanczy particularly springs to
      mind - inter-library loans is your friend (I got mine as a
      remaindered book years ago).

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney