Re: [MedievalSawdust] Bit and Brace

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2008
      The steel cranked shaft brace is definitely not period. There were
      wooden cranked shaft braces, but the off set of the crank seems to
      have been fairly small - far too easy to break the thing. They also
      seem to have had a fixed bit - no mechanical chucks. Unless you want
      to commi$$ion someone to make you one. ypu would be better off doing
      some research & making your own.

      'Before the Mast' from the Mary Rose Trust has the best exactly
      dateable carpentry tools within its pages. Otherwise there are a few
      books on 'museum grade' old tools from the pre-industrial age - 'The
      Art of Fine Tools' by Sandor Nagyszalanczy particularly springs to
      mind - inter-library loans is your friend (I got mine as a
      remaindered book years ago).

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

      >Dave <warbow67@...> wrote:
      >Is there anyone who sells a replica Bit & Brace?

    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2008
        I am a professional woodworker ["mundanely"] , as well as a re-enactor of the late-15th century Period in English and Breton History; - And I have a copy of "Before The Mast" [ beginning to look "well-used", because I have consulted it so much in creating "cool stuff " for our personal medieval encampment]..
        Looking at the illustrations of the surviving carpenters' tools in the book, - it does not seem to me to be too difficult to make replicas of the wooden brace,  the planes, etc. - - should I ever need such things - using my workshop's modern facilities .

        In Service to the Light, and to Drachenwald,
        Matthew Baker