Bit and Brace

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21 5:26 AM
      Is there anyone who sells a replica Bit & Brace?
    • Rebekah d'Avignon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21 6:03 AM
        I got one off eBay a few years ago. I doubt that it's period, but they wouldn't have changed too much (in design) over time. I don't use it because it's a bit "rattley", but I use a newer (say plastic hand grips) one when I want to be boring. The one I bought has some rust even though I cleaned up most of the surface stuff. If you are wanting one that looks more or less period but in working shape, check lehman's at http://www.lehmans.com/

        Dave <warbow67@...> wrote:
        Is there anyone who sells a replica Bit & Brace?

        How is it that humankind simultaneously believes that he is the greatest power in the universe and still waits for aliens to land and save him from himself?

      • Bruce S. R. Lee
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 21 7:46 AM
          The steel cranked shaft brace is definitely not period. There were
          wooden cranked shaft braces, but the off set of the crank seems to
          have been fairly small - far too easy to break the thing. They also
          seem to have had a fixed bit - no mechanical chucks. Unless you want
          to commi$$ion someone to make you one. ypu would be better off doing
          some research & making your own.

          'Before the Mast' from the Mary Rose Trust has the best exactly
          dateable carpentry tools within its pages. Otherwise there are a few
          books on 'museum grade' old tools from the pre-industrial age - 'The
          Art of Fine Tools' by Sandor Nagyszalanczy particularly springs to
          mind - inter-library loans is your friend (I got mine as a
          remaindered book years ago).

          regards
          Brusi of Orkney

          >Dave <warbow67@...> wrote:
          >Is there anyone who sells a replica Bit & Brace?

        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21 10:20 AM
            I am a professional woodworker ["mundanely"] , as well as a re-enactor of the late-15th century Period in English and Breton History; - And I have a copy of "Before The Mast" [ beginning to look "well-used", because I have consulted it so much in creating "cool stuff " for our personal medieval encampment]..
            Looking at the illustrations of the surviving carpenters' tools in the book, - it does not seem to me to be too difficult to make replicas of the wooden brace,  the planes, etc. - - should I ever need such things - using my workshop's modern facilities .

            In Service to the Light, and to Drachenwald,
            Matthew Baker