Viking News: Bone, Antler, Silver, House Building, Gotland Farm

  • Sharon Gordon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2008
      From: Dan Carlsson [mailto:info@...]
      Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:02 PM
      To: vikinghistory@...
      Subject: Viking News

      Dear Viking friends,

      A new year has started, time for good promises! Among them, from my side,
      are that a new CD-R will be finished around the middle of April. It deals
      with bone and antler work in Viking Age, and has as usual some hundreds of
      high resolution photos of bone and antler objects with mesaurement etc.

      I also would like to tell you about an interesting university course about
      Viking house building technique. Part of the course deals with a full scale
      reconstruction of Viking houses at the famous Viking town of Birka, west of
      Stockholm. Find out more about the course and download a pdf file at:
      http://www.arkeodok.com/index1.html and remeber, university courses are free
      of charge in Sweden (so far). There is a possibility to take part in the
      reconstruction already this coming spring.

      I also would like to inform you of our upcoming archaeological excavation of
      a Viking Age farm on Gotland coming summer. The course will be carried out
      by Peoples School and it is open to anyone. Interested to take part, please
      send me an e-mail for further information.

      Finally, I would like to let you know that we are preparing a package of
      images and texts about the latest silver hoard found on Gotland, that can be
      down loaded for a small fee. I hope to have that finished before the end of
      January, and I will let you know when it is up and running.

      Best regards
      Dan Carlsson