Re: [MedievalSawdust] Finish Question

  • Kiley Glass
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 12, 2008
      Tim,

      Thanks for all that information.

      I am sure you are right that not finishing a kitchen table would be the most accurate way to re-create a medieval kitchen table. This is a funny little project though, as I am not trying to re-create anything, just need a table and want to use it as an excuse to fiddle around with period techniques. If it doesn't work I'll either paint over it or use my staple gun to cover it with fabric and plastic.

      I would need to start with raw linseed oil, wouldn't I, and then add the resins to that, warming but not boiling? Am I mistaken in thinking they didn't boil it for this kind of thing in period? I know raw/boiled is a big deal when sealing a clay floor, but that's a whole other line of conversation/technology. I'm rebuilding my library after a fire, sorry to be asking questions that probably would be better looked up!

      I've got a commercial modern finish that I use on mundane projects. I guess I just want to do this the hard way. :)

      Caileigh

    • Kiley Glass
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 13, 2008
        When you use your smoke alarm as a kitchen timer, it's not really the same as starting a fire, is it now? That's the line I've taken with the kids and I'm sticking to it. My husband I don't have to worry about. It's highly unlikely that he'd notice, which at times is very convenient. He usually just wants to know if he needs to go pick up take out or not. Gotta love a man like that.

        Caileigh

        Liedtke Goetz <goetzliedtke@...> wrote:

        --- Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        > Yes sir. The kids hate it when mommy starts a fire in the kitchen.

        But how can you tell if the roast goose is done without setting off
        the smoke alarm?

        Goetz

        Be a better friend, newshound, and