Re: [MedievalSawdust] Finish Question

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 11, 2008
      This isn't a good application for a beeswax finish.  Wax is easy to apply but affords very little protection against moisture and stains.  You'll have to re-apply the wax frequently to maintain any kind of finished surface, and I think you'll be disappointed in the long-term performance.

      Better options are Waterlox, which is a kind of wiping varnish that builds fairly quickly and is easier to use than most varnishes; shellac, which goes on quickly and is easy to repair, but can be tricky to brush on a large flat surface; or lacquer.   Beeswax can be applied over any of those, using fine steel wool or grey abrasive pads, for a lovely satin finish.  Waterlox is a lot easier to use on large flat surfaces than either shellac or lacquer and is my first recommendation.  It's as easy to apply as linseed oil, looks about the same, but affords more protection.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Kiley Glass wrote:
      Thank you Thomas.

      This is a low pressure project because I just want something that'll look fine in my kitchen, for my kids to spill their milk on...or really for the cat to spill the kids milk on. Then, we can use what we learn later for a more serious project. We'll do our best on it, but we'll end up with a functional table even if something goes wrong.

    • Kiley Glass
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 13, 2008
        When you use your smoke alarm as a kitchen timer, it's not really the same as starting a fire, is it now? That's the line I've taken with the kids and I'm sticking to it. My husband I don't have to worry about. It's highly unlikely that he'd notice, which at times is very convenient. He usually just wants to know if he needs to go pick up take out or not. Gotta love a man like that.

        Caileigh

        Liedtke Goetz <goetzliedtke@...> wrote:

        --- Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        > Yes sir. The kids hate it when mommy starts a fire in the kitchen.

        But how can you tell if the roast goose is done without setting off
        the smoke alarm?

        Goetz

        Be a better friend, newshound, and