RE: [MedievalSawdust] Finish Question

  • Kiley Glass
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 11, 2008
      Thank you Thomas.

      This is a low pressure project because I just want something that'll look fine in my kitchen, for my kids to spill their milk on...or really for the cat to spill the kids milk on. Then, we can use what we learn later for a more serious project. We'll do our best on it, but we'll end up with a functional table even if something goes wrong.

      Caileigh

      Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:
      I have used a beeswax mixed with turpentine over the years.  Found that if you  add a touch (very
      very small touch) of lamp black, when the wax dries it does not have a nasty white look in the wood
      pores.
      When I mix up a batch of wax, I like it to be softened to almost like turtle wax.
      I am sure any color you add will ad the same as the lamp black.

      Thomas

      To: medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com
      From: caileighsoaps@ yahoo.com
      Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:55:03 -0800
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Finish Question

      Malcolm,

      I was able to find a copy of the book at half.com for under $10, $11something with shipping. Thank you for the recommendation. No doubt it will be very useful. I've got a decent supply of beeswax, pitch and some other things. I don't know if I'll use the pitch, but I do have it. We are making a simple tressle table to use mundanely in the kitchen and I thought this would be a great opportunity to experiment with finishes. I'll likely go for a verdigris green.

      Caileigh

      Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!

    • Kiley Glass
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 13, 2008
        When you use your smoke alarm as a kitchen timer, it's not really the same as starting a fire, is it now? That's the line I've taken with the kids and I'm sticking to it. My husband I don't have to worry about. It's highly unlikely that he'd notice, which at times is very convenient. He usually just wants to know if he needs to go pick up take out or not. Gotta love a man like that.

        Caileigh

        Liedtke Goetz <goetzliedtke@...> wrote:

        --- Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        > Yes sir. The kids hate it when mommy starts a fire in the kitchen.

        But how can you tell if the roast goose is done without setting off
        the smoke alarm?

        Goetz

        Be a better friend, newshound, and