Re: New photos of my first feast box

  • Sharon Henderson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2008
      Gavin, that's a lovely piece of work! I tend to like
      darker finishes overall, but that is a really lovely
      box--the inlay is very striking!

      Thanks for posting the pics!

      Meli

      --- Gavin scripsit:

      > New photos of my first feast box
      > Posted by: "Oakes, George" goakes@...
      > onespecialdj
      > Date: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:25 am ((PST))
      >
      > Greetings group,
      >
      > I posted some photos of my feast box I just
      > finished, The box is approx 14x14x10.
      > Made mostly from Basswood, and Poplar for the
      > bottom.
      > The top inlay is Purpleheart veneer, and the handles
      > are solid purpleheart
      >
      > all in the album, Gavin Kinkade's Wood n More

      > Peace
      > Gavin

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • kirkdrago
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2008
        Beautiful! I love the inlay design (I'm a sucker for geometrics).
        How did you join the corners?

        Kirk D
      • Oakes, George
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2008
          Well the Purpleheart inlay was done by cutting 4 strips, then I cut a 45 degree angle at one end, then I found the middle of the strips, and cut a 90 angle the width of half the strip from the end, and cut to the oend of the 45

          so it looked like this
          Then I cut an x groove in the top using a router, set at a depth equal to the thickness of the veneer strips, I laid the 4 purpleheart peices into the grooves then filled in the 4 triangles shapes with little pieces of maple veneer I had laying around.

          IF the picture doesnt come thru, I will post it in my album.

          Peace
          Gavin