New photos of my first feast box

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008
      Greetings group,

      I posted some photos of my feast box I just finished, The box is approx 14x14x10.
      Made mostly from Basswood, and Poplar for the bottom.
      The top inlay is Purpleheart veneer, and the handles are solid purpleheart

      all in the album, Gavin Kinkade's Wood n More

      Peace
      Gavin
    • Sharon Henderson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2008
        Gavin, that's a lovely piece of work! I tend to like
        darker finishes overall, but that is a really lovely
        box--the inlay is very striking!

        Thanks for posting the pics!

        Meli

        --- Gavin scripsit:

        > New photos of my first feast box
        > Posted by: "Oakes, George" goakes@...
        > onespecialdj
        > Date: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:25 am ((PST))
        >
        > Greetings group,
        >
        > I posted some photos of my feast box I just
        > finished, The box is approx 14x14x10.
        > Made mostly from Basswood, and Poplar for the
        > bottom.
        > The top inlay is Purpleheart veneer, and the handles
        > are solid purpleheart
        >
        > all in the album, Gavin Kinkade's Wood n More

        > Peace
        > Gavin

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • kirkdrago
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2008
          Beautiful! I love the inlay design (I'm a sucker for geometrics).
          How did you join the corners?

          Kirk D
        • Oakes, George
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2008
            Well the Purpleheart inlay was done by cutting 4 strips, then I cut a 45 degree angle at one end, then I found the middle of the strips, and cut a 90 angle the width of half the strip from the end, and cut to the oend of the 45

            so it looked like this
            Then I cut an x groove in the top using a router, set at a depth equal to the thickness of the veneer strips, I laid the 4 purpleheart peices into the grooves then filled in the 4 triangles shapes with little pieces of maple veneer I had laying around.

            IF the picture doesnt come thru, I will post it in my album.

            Peace
            Gavin