Re: [MedievalSawdust] Finish Question

  • Karl Christoffers
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 8, 2008
      Hello the list,

      --- Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@...> wrote:

      > What is shellac? I've seen it, used it but what IS
      > it. What's it made of? How long has it been in use?
      > Where does it come from?
      >

      > Caileigh

      Shellac is the stuff mom lac bugs exude to cover
      herself and her eggs until the eggs hatch. It glues
      them to the branches of the Indian (sub-continental)
      trees on which they feed. It is bug poop.

      The goo is scraped off the trees and refined, and then
      sent off to be made into an assortment of products,
      primarily being mixed with alcohol to make a
      sealer/finish. It is also used to hold the mica flakes
      of mica lampshades (the amber Arts and Crafts numbers
      from the turn of the 20th Century) together. Dry
      shellac is also mixed with pigment and tree resin to
      make sealing wax. Shellac is safe to eat and is used
      in some processed food (M&M's, at least when they
      started).

      Unfortunately shellac, like a lot of stuff from
      India, did not make it into Europe until after S.C.A.
      period, but I do not know exactly when. As far as I
      know, shellac was the standard transparent wood finish
      until the development of nitrocellulose lacquer in the
      late 19th century. As an aside, beeswax and pigment is
      by far the most common period correct seal making
      material. (He says having recently finished reading up
      on seals.)

      -Malcolm macGregor

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Kiley Glass
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 13, 2008
        When you use your smoke alarm as a kitchen timer, it's not really the same as starting a fire, is it now? That's the line I've taken with the kids and I'm sticking to it. My husband I don't have to worry about. It's highly unlikely that he'd notice, which at times is very convenient. He usually just wants to know if he needs to go pick up take out or not. Gotta love a man like that.

        Caileigh

        Liedtke Goetz <goetzliedtke@...> wrote:

        --- Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        > Yes sir. The kids hate it when mommy starts a fire in the kitchen.

        But how can you tell if the roast goose is done without setting off
        the smoke alarm?

        Goetz

        Be a better friend, newshound, and