Re: [MedievalSawdust] Finish Question

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 8, 2008
      Shellac. Most likely that is what the original finish was. It's
      surprisingly durable, yet easy to remove with alcohol or ammonia.

      Depending on the wood and how you want the color to look, you can oil it
      first and then shellac for the finish. Linseed oil warms up the color
      (a LOT) and can enhance the grain in some woods, especially oak, but
      provides little protection. Shellac over oil is a pretty good
      combination. If you're in a hurry, you can use Tage Frid's technique of
      applying oil and then "rubbing in" shellac. This results in a finish
      that resembles multiple coats of oil, rubbed out, in less than a day.
      But it can be tricky on large areas...

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Avery Austringer wrote:
      > A freind at work is doing some much needed repair on an old table
      > (¡Ö100 years) at his church. There were some less than ideal
      > construction techniques used, but he has a pretty solid plan for
      > dealing with these.
      >
      > His question is, how to finish it? The old finish was good enough for
      > however old the piece was, and easy enough to remove from the piece
      > requireing the most restoration. He says that if we was doing a new
      > piece for himself he'd probably go with a wipe on poly, but, given that
      > someone else may get tapped to redo his work some time in the future,
      > he'd rather they not have to destroy the table to strip it. Any
      > suggestions?
      >
      > Avery

    • Kiley Glass
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 13, 2008
        When you use your smoke alarm as a kitchen timer, it's not really the same as starting a fire, is it now? That's the line I've taken with the kids and I'm sticking to it. My husband I don't have to worry about. It's highly unlikely that he'd notice, which at times is very convenient. He usually just wants to know if he needs to go pick up take out or not. Gotta love a man like that.

        Caileigh

        Liedtke Goetz <goetzliedtke@...> wrote:

        --- Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        > Yes sir. The kids hate it when mommy starts a fire in the kitchen.

        But how can you tell if the roast goose is done without setting off
        the smoke alarm?

        Goetz

        Be a better friend, newshound, and