Re: [MedievalSawdust] Finish Question

  • Trevor Payne
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 8, 2008
      tung/linseed oil.

      I assume this antique table was made of oak?  I would use a nice linseed oil finish that will give the piece a nice satin shine while making it easy to repair and  restore at a later date.  Plus, that is probably what was used when it was made.

      A linseed oil finish requires more work to do, but the finish is so much nicer.
      I hate the look of shiney plastic poly finish on antiques, it just does not work for me.

      Aiden

      Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:
      A freind at work is doing some much needed repair on an old table
      (¡Ö100 years) at his church. There were some less than ideal
      construction techniques used, but he has a pretty solid plan for
      dealing with these.

      His question is, how to finish it? The old finish was good enough for
      however old the piece was, and easy enough to remove from the piece
      requireing the most restoration. He says that if we was doing a new
      piece for himself he'd probably go with a wipe on poly, but, given that
      someone else may get tapped to redo his work some time in the future,
      he'd rather they not have to destroy the table to strip it. Any
      suggestions?

      Avery

      "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
      --Benjamin Franklin--

    • Kiley Glass
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 13, 2008
        When you use your smoke alarm as a kitchen timer, it's not really the same as starting a fire, is it now? That's the line I've taken with the kids and I'm sticking to it. My husband I don't have to worry about. It's highly unlikely that he'd notice, which at times is very convenient. He usually just wants to know if he needs to go pick up take out or not. Gotta love a man like that.

        Caileigh

        Liedtke Goetz <goetzliedtke@...> wrote:

        --- Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        > Yes sir. The kids hate it when mommy starts a fire in the kitchen.

        But how can you tell if the roast goose is done without setting off
        the smoke alarm?

        Goetz

        Be a better friend, newshound, and