RE: [MedievalSawdust] late period Italian wood dyes

  • Kiley Glass
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2007
      I've got a copy of Henly's right here. Starting on page 781 of our version of the book there is an article about it.

      "Yellow Blue Green or Grey staining on wood can be easily be imitated by a little glazing color in oil or vinegar"....and it goes on.

      I think you'd said you wanted something to put into water? I think they mean pottery glaze, by "glazing color." I don't know if that would work in water. They also have recipies for glazes.

      You can probably get a copy of this inexpensively at half.com or one of those kinds of places. I don't mind copying down a recipe for you, but this might be cheap and easy to obtain, and it does come in handy.

      Caileigh

      Tracy Swanson <tstar2000@...> wrote:

      Where would I find information on period wood dyes?  Specifically, 14-16th century Italian intarsia wood dyes?  I need a blue and a green, but don't know where to look for the recipes.  The marquetry books I have access to discuss the fact that the Italians used dyes for blue, green, and red, which they boiled the wood in to dye it, but don't provide recipes for the dyes.  Any help would be appreciated.

      Lady Stephanie Lilburn
      .

      You might try Henley's Book of Formulas. It was published much later (my brother's is a reproduction of a copy from the 1800s) but has many dye, soap and other interesting recipes and formulae in it, many touted to be quite old at the time they were first published. A word of warning though, this book was originally published long before the FDA made an appearance and some of the recipes may be toxic.

      In Magical Service,
      Malaki