peanut crossbow

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2007
      anyone have plans online anywhere?

      --
      That which yields isn't always weak.
    • Peter Valentine
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008

        In order to afford our SCA hobby we turned our crafting skills to making our hobby pay for itself and selling 1/3rd scale mini marshmallow crossbows earned enough money to buy several large period tents!  http://www.roguehaven.org/Merchanting/XBows/Crossbows.htm does not give you a design, but from the picture its easy enough to work out..

        The key was the prods... finding a material that could act like crossbow prod that would work reliably without breaking and was quick and easy to manufacture... I was hunting for materials one day in my ladies sewing room when I knocked over a jar of ladies corset stays... and voila!

        You can make a jig to bend an 8" corset stay into a prod shape and use a ground off 10 penney  nail and a strip of brass as a push pin and trigger. I also put a brass spring clip on top to securely hold the ammo..  I used hardwood (poplar) 1 by 2 as the lumber and cut it to shape.. drilled the hole for the pushpin aligned with the notch for the string (See the PDF instructions on that page) The groove for the ammo is routed on a router bench and the prod attached with a screw to the front of the stock.  I jigged everything up for mass production and stained the wood to four different colors for our customers.

        After having made literally over a thousand of these bows.. I can safely say NEVER AGAIN!

        Wolfgang

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
          well, i was looking for making a chrisptmas present, heh. but thanks,
          ill keep that in mind.