Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Robin Woods Tools

  • Dave Calafrancesco - Yahoo
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 15, 2007
      Ralph Lindberg wrote:
      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Dave Calafrancesco - Yahoo
      > <yahoo@...> wrote:
      >> Yes. We do use the same types of tools that Robin Wood uses. Their info
      >> can be found in the YAT books on Viking age woodworking. My books are
      >> still packed so I'd have to Google the book to get you the ISBN details.
      > Are you talking about "Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian
      > and Medieval York"?

      >> The author of that book and the people I work with (Budgardr is our
      > camp
      >> name at Pennsic) disagree on how to use the tools. We believe they used
      >> their hands and the deck of their lathes to support the tools. The
      >> author shows a very awkward style using a tool rest of dubious origins
      >> (it wasn't found near the wood working materials but in the weaving
      > shed).
      > The "tool rest" shown in the book I referenced is just plan wacky. I
      > also had to laugh at her marveling at the skill of the woodworkers.
      > based on the lack of spoiled bowl-blanks. Why I laughed was because
      > they got rid of theirs the same way I do, they burn them as fire wood.

      Yeah. She really stretches in order to force a tool rest when none of
      the illuminations I've found showed one. That's not to say they don't
      support a tool, I've used lots of different tool supports over the
      years. Often looking like just a scrap block of wood of the correct
      height to hold the tool at the position I desire or the tool rest that
      lives at the end of my left arm that I carry with me everywhere.

      I'm not so sure about whether they burned the botched bowl blanks, that
      would be a lot of green wood to throw into a fire. They certainly would
      have known how poorly wet green wood burns. After all, they tossed the
      cores from the bowls into the midden instead of burning them. The cores
      would have been drier than the botched blank would have been, yet they
      ended up in the middens by the hundreds (perhaps thousands). I'm more
      inclined to believe that a botched bowl blank is more likely to be
      turned into a smaller bowl or a cup. Yet there is still a surprising
      lack of severely broken cups and bowls with intact cores.

      I suspect that the technique of starting the rough work in the field and
      bringing the semi-completed work back to the village allowed for dumping
      the detritus where it didn't stand a chance of discovery. It also means
      having to transport back from the woods only viable bowl blanks instead
      of the other 30-50% of the tree that isn't a bowl waiting to be discovered.

      Haraldr Bassi