Fwd: Your Message to medievalsawdust

  • tracey sawyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2007
      Greetings Mesire Matthew,

      Attending KWHS is my goal, I didn't realise Raglan Fair was a SCAdian event... but of course if I DO save enough bikkies to come over to ID I'd be mad not to stay for the fair.

      I have been to the Weald and Downland Museum -- it was amazing.  I was lucky enough to be the only person there for the Gridshell Tour, so got to ask questions about the tools, house bits etc stored there - a (literally) hands-on tour, as I was allowed to pick up and examine the artifacts etc.  which is not normally allowed when there are heaps of people on the tour.

      I could have spent several days there instead of the 1 that I had available.

      Lowry

      medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      SCA and Medieval Woodworking

      3a.

      Re: St Cross

      Posted by: "julian wilson" smnco37@...   smnco37

      Thu Dec 6, 2007 9:42 am (PST)

      REPLY
      Chris, Lowry,
      for future reference then, - so far as I know, Insulæ Draconis has recently mounted events at the following Period Locations - Raglan Castle; - St. Cross; - Tretower Court & Castle;
      and Barley Hall, York. - all of which have well-illustrated websites.
      Of these, "Raglan Fair" 2008 will run from September 11th to 15th and looks as though it will be the longest period-location SCA event in ID next year.
      A chance to camp medievally in a "slighted" castle, and test your medieval combat skills against other SCAdians, anywhere within the walls; and to attend a torchlit Ball in the Fountain Court on the Saturday evening!
      My Lady and I missed Raglan 1, attended Raglan 2 and 3 where we had a wonderful weekend each time; and have already booked leave from our mundane world for Raglan 4 - which this year will be longer than ever before.
      If one was thinking about travelling to the UK for one of those events, I'd say Raglan 4 would be the one to choose, - 'cos you'd get longer onsite in a period location. As an added incentive to visit the UK for SCAdians, KWHS 2008 is being held in London that September, also.
      If we of ID are privileged to have another "Winchester Pilgrimage" in 2008, then St. Cross would be my second choice - especially for anyone on this medieval Sawdust List.. You've seen the pictures of St Cross, plus there is the ancient City of Winchester within walking distance, - and within an hour's drive there is the outstanding "Weald & Downland Museum" - a collection of [mostly-timber- framed] medieval buildings salvaged from their original locations, and carefully re-erected [shorn of their later modifications] on a huge 45-acre "greenfield" site just to the north of the village of Singleton, West Sussex, 4 miles north of the ancient City of Chichester, - which of course has the wonderful "Roman Palace" nearby in the village of Fishbourne.
      Amongst it's many attactions, the Weald & Downland Museum's "collection" includes a fully-furnished medieval manor house, and a separate Tudor Kitchen [working and staffed by re-enactor volunteers]; a working watermill which "mills" on an almost daily basis, a working Smithy, and a working [heavy] woodworking area in the woods at the back of the Museum Site. The gardens of the various houses are planted with period plants [ appropriate to the date of each building]. And there are stables for the Museums working draught horses, too.
      The heavy woodworking "shop" in the Museum's woods has a working sawpit, a restored Victorian woodyard crane, a mobile and possibly Victorian sawmill for turning logs into planks, and the people who run this "woodyard" know how to do things in a historic manner with maximum hand-tooling and minimum powered-tool assitance.

      yours in humble service,
      Matthew Baker

      mka: Tracey Sawyer

        ska:  THL Lowry ferch Gwynwynwyn ap Llewelyn, OGT
        (pronounced: Lo-oo-ra v-air-k When-when-when up hhhL-yew-elen)

        aka:  Badra

      I'm NOT middle-aged ... I'm medieval!

      Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.