RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Looking for a book review

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2007

      Sure.  But it’s not applicable as a commercial technique for dating antiques, which was my point.

      Will

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2007

        If you do a web search for Dendochronology you should be able to find the information on calibrating tree ring dates. Dendochronology is a very useful technique in many circumstances, however in some climates, and with some species of tree there are difficulties. For example in Australia tree growth is measured through seasonal changes rather than annual rings as there can be some years between growth. A second problem with dendochronology is that generally a core is required which is destructive. This technique has been used to advantage in dating timber frames in medieval housing.

        One of my colleagues here at the University of Tennessee was instrumental in developing the technique.  Alas, it is not useable for furniture because you have to get a core of so much of the original tree to get meaningful data.  They did use it on the Mary Rose timbers, though, to tell when the trees were felled to build her.  It helped nail down her construction dates.  The technique is called “dendrochronology.”

        Will

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
          I own the book.

          If you get it you will pay a pretty penny (it ran me 80 $ plus
          shipping, when I ordered it sight-unseen about 7 - 8 years ago)

          My feelings about the book when it arrived,...were mixed.
          For that price,....I had expected far more in the way of
          illustrations. (the source I had ordered from had not told How many
          illustrations,.......it had said something like 'Richly illustrated'
          which I had taken to mean more than 136 in a 300 page book)

          What illustrations there Are in the book,...are well-drawn line
          drawings with handy guage (?) to determine the measurements.

          There are a number of pices that were quite new to me,...includeing a
          triangular hanging bowl I think is really cool and want to re-create
          as soon as a can find a piece of wood larege enough to make mine full-
          sized.

          Earwood seems facinated with, and has written quite a bit on the
          subject of 'bog-butter' often found in wooden containers buried in
          peat bogs (inspiring me, at one point,....to go buring a wooden bowl
          full of butter in my own mini-peat bog,........which I totally forgot
          about until this moment) That was at least 5 years ago,...so I guess
          it's time to check on it)

          Would I have bought the book for that price,...if I could have viewed
          it first ? Probably not.

          While I was delighted to have fresh material to reproduce,.....I
          can't say I felt like I got my money's worth in the book,....but I
          bit the bullet on it.

          It's an interesting read though,.....In time,..I read it cover to
          cover,....rather unusual for me to do that with that sort of book
          where my primary interest is usually in the visual material.
          Shara/aka Asa of the Wood
          myspace.com/windsingersmoon

          <baronconal@...> wrote:

          > Anyone know anything about this book?
          >
          > Domestic Wooden Artifacts
          > by Caroline Earwood
          > Radiocarbon dating has made possible a
          > chronology for the hundreds of previously undated wooden artefacts
          > found during the drainage works and peat diggings in 19th and 20th
          > century Ireland and Scotland. Using these results this book is able
          > analyse the developments in manufacturing methods of domestic wooden
          > artefacts in Britain and Ireland from the Neolithic to the end of
          the
          > first millennium AD. The distribution of artefacts - chronologically
          > and geographically - and the organisation of manufacture and the
          > cultural context are analysed and discussed, and comparison with
          > European types made. The relationships between function, style and
          > value of wooden artefacts and those made of metal, pottery and stone
          > are also examined. `One of the most refreshing and stimulating
          recent
          > books on British archaeology' - Current Archaeolgy. 300p with 136
          figs & illus. (Exeter UP 1993)

          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > 'Dare Something Worthy'

        • windsingersmoon
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
            A quick question,........

            What did you hope to learn about the book when you asked for
            a 'review' ? Noticeing Master William's reply and others, since
            your question,.....I may have mis-understood what you wanted to know
            about it.

            In order to give you a better 'review' I'd have to go retrieve it
            from my shop and that's a hike through the woods.

            It's been a busy last 4 or 5 years for us,...trying to rescue what
            we've been able to rescue from our old house (where the roof gave)
            and get a new home built,...so I confess,....my woodcarving and
            research time has had to take a back seat to other priorities,...i.e
            survival and rescue.
            (But I saved most of my woodworking books (not all,...and water got
            into the huge bin my 100 Plus Viking books were stored,...and I lost
            about half of those,....most of my best woodworking books were saved
            and dry,....includeing the Earwood book,........the last several
            years have proved both trying and interesting....)
            Shara