Re: [MedievalSawdust] Looking for a book review

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2007
      Yes. I have a copy. Buy it.

      Beth

      At 07:42 PM 12/5/2007, you wrote:

      >Anyone know anything about this book?
      >

      >Domestic Wooden Artifacts
      >

      >by Caroline Earwood
      >

      >Radiocarbon dating has made possible a chronology for the hundreds
      >of previously undated wooden artefacts found during the drainage
      >works and peat diggings in 19th and 20th century Ireland and
      >Scotland. Using these results this book is able to analyse the
      >developments in manufacturing methods of domestic wooden artefacts
      >in Britain and Ireland from the Neolithic to the end of the first
      >millennium AD. The distribution of artefacts - chronologically and
      >geographically - and the organisation of manufacture and the
      >cultural context are analysed and discussed, and comparison with
      >European types made. The relationships between function, style and
      >value of wooden artefacts and those made of metal, pottery and stone
      >are also examined. `One of the most refreshing and stimulating
      >recent books on British archaeology' - Current Archaeolgy. 300p with
      >136 figs & illus. (Exeter UP 1993)
      >
      >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      >
      >Aude Aliquid Dignum
      >'Dare Something Worthy'
    • Tracy Swanson
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2007
        Speaking of dating wooden artifacts, has anyone else heard of the annual tree ring record method of dating? It is supposed to rely upon the annual tree ring growth record. It seems that all trees, regardless of where they grow, have a relative annual growth ring thickness record that has been traced, from what I've heard, at least as far back as the early Middle Ages.

        Just thought this might be of interest...
        In Magical Service,
        Malaki

      • Ralph Lindberg
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 5, 2007
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Swanson"
          <tstar2000@...> wrote:

          > Speaking of dating wooden artifacts, has anyone else heard of the annual
          > tree ring record method of dating? It is supposed to rely upon the
          annual
          > tree ring growth record. It seems that all trees, regardless of
          where they
          > grow, have a relative annual growth ring thickness record that has been
          > traced, from what I've heard, at least as far back as the early
          Middle Ages.

          Actually yes, and it doesn't work like you describe.

          It's called Dendrochronology, while it can be accurate, it requires
          correlation to the growing area and maybe even the specie for accuracy.

          See
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrochronology
          http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/dendro.html

          TTFN
          Ralg
          AnTir
        • barondevin@insightbb.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 5, 2007

            From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
            > Anyone know anything about this book?
            >
            > Domestic Wooden Artifacts
            > by Caroline Earwood
            Half.com has it for $202.24

            Devin
          • barondevin@insightbb.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 5, 2007

              > > Domestic Wooden Artifacts
              > > by Caroline Earwood
              >
              > Half.com has it for $202.24

              For that matter, Amazon has it for list, $95.00

              Devin
            • leaking pen
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 5, 2007
                what he said.

                also, with radiocarbon, it only works if you can tie the wood to having grown in a certain area AND have confirmed wood from teh same time frame and place.

                --
                That which yields isn't always weak.
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 6, 2007

                  One of my colleagues here at the University of Tennessee was instrumental in developing the technique.  Alas, it is not useable for furniture because you have to get a core of so much of the original tree to get meaningful data.  They did use it on the Mary Rose timbers, though, to tell when the trees were felled to build her.  It helped nail down her construction dates.  The technique is called “dendrochronology.”

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 6, 2007
                    http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/6614

                    look here

                    'Dare Something Worthy'

                    From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@yahoo. com>
                    > Anyone know anything about this book?
                    >
                    > Domestic Wooden Artifacts
                    > by Caroline Earwood
                    Half.com has it for $202.24

                    Devin

                  • Jeff Johnson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 7, 2007
                      While there is the limitation that (at best) you can only date a
                      section of wood to the date when it was cut down, it's not true that
                      it's not applicable to furniture. You can overlap know section
                      profiles with your sample and get a pattern match with just sections.

                      There's a very good description of the technique in "Die gotishen Truhen".

                      I was reading the dendrochronological report for an item at the Cluny
                      in Paris last week (brag). They were able to stack the individual
                      pieces in such a way that they could reconstruct the section of log
                      the pieces came from, giving a very complete cross section on which
                      they could base their analysis.

                      Jeff J /Geoff Bourette

                      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=6200723/grpspId=1705126283/msgId

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 7, 2007

                        Sure.  But it’s not applicable as a commercial technique for dating antiques, which was my point.

                        Will

                        While there is the limitation that (at best) you can only date a
                        section of wood to the date when it was cut down, it's not true that
                        it's not applicable to furniture. You can overlap know section
                        profiles with your sample and get a pattern match with just sections.

                        There's a very good description of the technique in "Die gotishen Truhen".

                        I was reading the dendrochronological report for an item at the Cluny
                        in Paris last week (brag). They were able to stack the individual
                        pieces in such a way that they could reconstruct the section of log
                        the pieces came from, giving a very complete cross section on which
                        they could base their analysis.

                        Jeff J /Geoff Bourette

                        --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                        > One of my colleagues here at the
                        w:st="on">University of Tennessee was
                        instrumental in
                        > developing the technique. Alas, it is not useable for furniture
                        because you
                        > have to get a core of so much of the original tree to get meaningful
                        data.
                        > They did use it on the Mary Rose timbers, though, to tell when the trees
                        > were felled to build her. It helped nail down her construction
                        dates. The
                        > technique is called "dendrochronology. "
                        >

                        > Will
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Andrew Wilkinson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 7, 2007

                          If you do a web search for Dendochronology you should be able to find the information on calibrating tree ring dates. Dendochronology is a very useful technique in many circumstances, however in some climates, and with some species of tree there are difficulties. For example in Australia tree growth is measured through seasonal changes rather than annual rings as there can be some years between growth. A second problem with dendochronology is that generally a core is required which is destructive. This technique has been used to advantage in dating timber frames in medieval housing.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                            I own the book.

                            If you get it you will pay a pretty penny (it ran me 80 $ plus
                            shipping, when I ordered it sight-unseen about 7 - 8 years ago)

                            My feelings about the book when it arrived,...were mixed.
                            For that price,....I had expected far more in the way of
                            illustrations. (the source I had ordered from had not told How many
                            illustrations,.......it had said something like 'Richly illustrated'
                            which I had taken to mean more than 136 in a 300 page book)

                            What illustrations there Are in the book,...are well-drawn line
                            drawings with handy guage (?) to determine the measurements.

                            There are a number of pices that were quite new to me,...includeing a
                            triangular hanging bowl I think is really cool and want to re-create
                            as soon as a can find a piece of wood larege enough to make mine full-
                            sized.

                            Earwood seems facinated with, and has written quite a bit on the
                            subject of 'bog-butter' often found in wooden containers buried in
                            peat bogs (inspiring me, at one point,....to go buring a wooden bowl
                            full of butter in my own mini-peat bog,........which I totally forgot
                            about until this moment) That was at least 5 years ago,...so I guess
                            it's time to check on it)

                            Would I have bought the book for that price,...if I could have viewed
                            it first ? Probably not.

                            While I was delighted to have fresh material to reproduce,.....I
                            can't say I felt like I got my money's worth in the book,....but I
                            bit the bullet on it.

                            It's an interesting read though,.....In time,..I read it cover to
                            cover,....rather unusual for me to do that with that sort of book
                            where my primary interest is usually in the visual material.
                            Shara/aka Asa of the Wood
                            myspace.com/windsingersmoon

                            <baronconal@...> wrote:

                            > Anyone know anything about this book?
                            >
                            > Domestic Wooden Artifacts
                            > by Caroline Earwood
                            > Radiocarbon dating has made possible a
                            > chronology for the hundreds of previously undated wooden artefacts
                            > found during the drainage works and peat diggings in 19th and 20th
                            > century Ireland and Scotland. Using these results this book is able
                            > analyse the developments in manufacturing methods of domestic wooden
                            > artefacts in Britain and Ireland from the Neolithic to the end of
                            the
                            > first millennium AD. The distribution of artefacts - chronologically
                            > and geographically - and the organisation of manufacture and the
                            > cultural context are analysed and discussed, and comparison with
                            > European types made. The relationships between function, style and
                            > value of wooden artefacts and those made of metal, pottery and stone
                            > are also examined. `One of the most refreshing and stimulating
                            recent
                            > books on British archaeology' - Current Archaeolgy. 300p with 136
                            figs & illus. (Exeter UP 1993)

                            > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                            >
                            > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                            > 'Dare Something Worthy'

                          • windsingersmoon
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                              A quick question,........

                              What did you hope to learn about the book when you asked for
                              a 'review' ? Noticeing Master William's reply and others, since
                              your question,.....I may have mis-understood what you wanted to know
                              about it.

                              In order to give you a better 'review' I'd have to go retrieve it
                              from my shop and that's a hike through the woods.

                              It's been a busy last 4 or 5 years for us,...trying to rescue what
                              we've been able to rescue from our old house (where the roof gave)
                              and get a new home built,...so I confess,....my woodcarving and
                              research time has had to take a back seat to other priorities,...i.e
                              survival and rescue.
                              (But I saved most of my woodworking books (not all,...and water got
                              into the huge bin my 100 Plus Viking books were stored,...and I lost
                              about half of those,....most of my best woodworking books were saved
                              and dry,....includeing the Earwood book,........the last several
                              years have proved both trying and interesting....)
                              Shara