Re: [MedievalSawdust] Not the IML

  • Helen Schultz
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
      Thanks, Terafan... I knew it had something to do with Insulae Draconis, but couldn't figure out the acronym <smile>.

      Are you back from the desert yet?

      And, Matthew, thank you for doing the Flickr thing... I think I'd seen some of those images on another list, but not all of them... I love the tiles at Winchester.  Did you go look at the Winchester Bible there, too?  I got to see it once in 1987, it is totally awesome... 3 very large volumes.

      ~~ Katarina Helene

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007

        I looked thru your pics and all I can say is ghosts! I see my fellow scadians doing what we do best and I honestly see ghosts of each persons respective time period. Sigh, the best we have is Saint Augustine Fl and not much is done there. Being the oldest city in America and also having the old Spanish fort you’d think somehow someway some scadian would find a way to put it to use. Looks like I need to pay a visit across the pond one year for some event. I say good job on this event, a definite achievement!

        Dmitrii

        Hurry to meet death before your place is taken!

        Tommorow's victory is won in today's practice!

        Samurai maxim

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2007
          Chris Chastain <ckchastain@...> wrote:
          I looked thru your pics and all I can say is ghosts! I see my fellow scadians doing what we do best and I honestly see ghosts of each persons respective time period. Sigh, the best we have is Saint Augustine Fl and not much is done there. Being the oldest city in America and also having the old Spanish fort you’d think somehow someway some scadian would find a way to put it to use. Looks like I need to pay a visit across the pond one year for some event. I say good job on this event, a definite achievement!
          .
          REPLY
          Chris, Lowry,
          for future reference then, - so far as I know, Insulæ Draconis has  recently mounted events at the following Period Locations - Raglan Castle; - St. Cross;  - Tretower Court & Castle;
           and Barley Hall, York. - all of which have well-illustrated websites.
          Of these, "Raglan Fair" 2008 will run from September 11th to 15th and looks as though it will be the longest period-location SCA event in ID next year.
          A chance to camp medievally in a "slighted" castle, and test your medieval combat skills against other SCAdians, anywhere within the walls; and to attend a torchlit Ball in the Fountain Court on the Saturday evening!
          My Lady and I missed Raglan 1, attended Raglan 2 and 3 where we had a wonderful weekend each time; and have already booked leave from our mundane world for Raglan 4 - which this year will be longer than ever before.
          If one was thinking about travelling to the UK for one of those events, I'd say Raglan 4 would be the one to choose, - 'cos you'd get longer onsite in a period location. As an added incentive to visit the UK for SCAdians, KWHS 2008 is being held in London that September, also.
          If we of ID are privileged to have another "Winchester Pilgrimage" in 2008, then St. Cross would be my second choice - especially for anyone on this medieval Sawdust List..  You've seen the pictures of St Cross, plus there is the ancient City of Winchester within walking distance, - and within an hour's drive there is the outstanding "Weald & Downland Museum"  - a collection of [mostly-timber-framed] medieval buildings salvaged from their original locations, and carefully re-erected [shorn of their later modifications] on a huge 45-acre "greenfield" site just to the north of the village of Singleton, West Sussex, 4 miles north of the ancient City of Chichester, - which of course has the wonderful "Roman Palace" nearby in the village of Fishbourne.
          Amongst it's many attactions, the Weald & Downland Museum's "collection" includes a fully-furnished medieval manor house, and a separate Tudor Kitchen [working and staffed by re-enactor volunteers]; a working watermill which "mills" on an almost daily basis, a working Smithy, and a working [heavy] woodworking area in the woods at the back of the Museum Site. The gardens of the various houses are planted with period plants [ appropriate to the date of each building]. And there are stables for the Museums working draught horses, too.
          The heavy woodworking "shop" in the Museum's woods has a working sawpit, a restored Victorian woodyard crane, a mobile and possibly Victorian sawmill for turning logs into planks, and the people who run this "woodyard" know how to do things in a historic manner with maximum hand-tooling and minimum powered-tool assitance.

          yours in humble service,
          Matthew Baker