Re: Attitudes to "old" items and structures

  • John LaTorre
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
      Matthew wrote about how his group got to use a hall complete with period
      furniture. I'm envious ...in this country, "old" means seventeenth
      century at best.

      It's getting afield of the topic of this list, but those who are
      interested in modifications to buildings over time are invited to read
      "How Buildings Learn" by Stewart Brand (yes, the Whole Earth Catalog
      guy). I found it fascinating. He gives several examples of how buildings
      morph over the years (or centuries) to accommodate different needs, and
      how the best of them survive the years by being most adaptable to change.

      --Johann von Drachenfels,
      West Kingdom
    • masahide@summerscauldron.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
        As they say....

        In the US 200 year is a long time...
        In the UK 200 miles is a long way...

        Masahide

        >Re: Attitudes to "old" items and structures
        >Posted by: "John LaTorre" jlatorre@... tentmeister
        >Date: Tue Dec 4, 2007 9:23 am ((PST))
        >
        >Matthew wrote about how his group got to use a hall complete with period
        >furniture. I'm envious ...in this country, "old" means seventeenth
        >century at best.

      • Chris Chastain
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007

          In the US 200 year is a long time...
          In the UK 200 miles is a long way...

          Masahide<<<<<

          Would gladly give up some land mass in exchange for some of their historical places!

          Dmitrii

          (who says our short history is but a paragraph in their book)

          Hurry to meet death before your place is taken!

          Tommorow's victory is won in today's practice!

          Samurai maxim

          >Re: Attitudes to "old" items and structures
          >Posted by: "John LaTorre" jlatorre@midtown. net
          tentmeister
          >Date: Tue Dec 4, 2007 9:23 am ((PST))
          >
          >Matthew wrote about how his group got to use a hall complete with period
          >furniture. I'm envious ...in this country, "old" means
          seventeenth
          >century at best.

          http://link. mail2web. com/Business/ SharePoint

        • leaking pen
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
            Speak for yourself.  i like our wide open spaces, free of human habitation.

            On 12/5/07, Chris Chastain <ckchastain@...> wrote:

            In the US 200 year is a long time...
            In the UK 200 miles is a long way...

            Masahide<<<<<

            Would gladly give up some land mass in exchange for some of their historical places!

            Dmitrii

            (who says our short history is but a paragraph in their book)

            Hurry to meet death before your place is taken!

            Tommorow's victory is won in today's practice!

            Samurai maxim

            >Re: Attitudes to "old" items and structures
            >Posted by: "John LaTorre" jlatorre@... tentmeister
            >Date: Tue Dec 4, 2007 9:23 am ((PST))
            >
            >Matthew wrote about how his group got to use a hall complete with period
            >furniture. I'm envious ...in this country, "old" means seventeenth
            >century at best.

            That which yields isn't always weak.