RE: [MedievalSawdust] Cutting octagonals on a slope

  • Geffrei Maudeleyne
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007

      Consider use of a tapering jig. Also, experiment with making a cut then use masking tape and tape it back together, turn and make another cut.

      As Always, Yours In Service to the Dream,

      Geffrei Maudeleyne

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007

              If you have it all measured and marked already you could use a table saw. Clamp the working piece to the edge of a wider plank (I use 1/4 inch plywood) for ease of handling, sort of a jig Angle the blade at 45 or what every angle you need. This can be checked by pushing your work up to the blade when it is not turned on to be sure of the degree of angle you require.

          Then again, doing it by hand with a shave horse is period :)
        see you at Cutlass' and Corsairs

        Innis

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
             I have not seen that, maybe I will give it a try since I dont use my router enough at this time.

          Innis

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
            For this math to work:
            1) Save the cutoff, then tape it back on afterwards to keep two flat sides -
            one flat on the tablesaw, one flat on your taper jig.
            (if the cutoff is too small, cut something out of scrap to use)
            You don't have to keep the octagonal cuts, as the calculations are based on
            your original flat sides.

            2) I assume you have a taper jig which you used to make the first tapers.

            Taper T
            sides S: 8

            Angle A = 90-(180/S)

            taper jig J: atan(sin(T)/tan(S))
            blade tilt B: asin(cos(S)*cos(T))

            These numbers give you half the angle, so multiply times two (I was using them
            for tapering staves).

            Example:
            3x3 -> 1.5x1.5 = .75 taper per side @ (unknown distance).
            assuming table height of approximately 30" we'd get:

            T = atan(.75/30) = 1.432deg
            A = 90-(180/8) = 67.5 deg
            J = .593deg
            B = 22.493deg

            So, your blade should be at 44.985degrees (might as well be 45),
            and your taper jig at 1.186deg

            I haven't actually done this for outside cuts like you are doing, but I'm
            fairly sure the math works the same compared to the mugs I was making.

            On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 09:17:37PM -0600, Rhys Terafan Greydragon did say:

            --
            Don Quixote -- quixote@... http://toysmakeuspowerful.com
            "I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself"
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
              Rhys,

              Consider using a band saw with a tapering jig.  Cut each of the tapers but do NOT cut all the way through.  leave some room at the bottom and shut off the saw and pull the piece off and give it a turn   If you leave about 1/2 an inch still connected you still have a complete thickness at both ends of the piece which should allow it to be solid in the jig.

              You can then cut through the rest of the way with a tool of choice or if you start with the piece about 1 inch longer, you can very carefully cut off that last inch with a power miter / chop saw.

              Please work out any problems out on a test piece first. And let us know how which ever idea you use works out.

              Johannes Machiavelli

              On Dec 2, 2007 9:17 PM, Rhys Terafan Greydragon < terafan@...> wrote:

              Greetings all,

                  I am hoping someone knows a good trick for "octagonalizing" a sloped piece of wood.

              I have a 3 x 3  that is sloped on all 4 sides down to 1.5 x 1.5...    (that is what I want).

              What I now want to do is octagonalize it so all 8 sides are even and all narrow down evenly from the big end to the small end.    Anyone have any tips, tricks, or good ideas??

              I can do it with a drawknife and a spokeshave, but I am looking for a power-tool-method...

              cheers,
                 Terafan

              Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon     terafan@...
              Brewer, Tent and Furniture maker, and other things I can't remember...

              --
              Lord Johannes Machiavelli
              Shire of Rokkehealden

            • paul
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                If you have assess to a good library there is an article in Wooden Boat
                #91 on mast building that includes a very simple tool to scribe accurate
                lines for octagonalizing a timber. The relevant couple of sentances are

                Start by taking the mast from a rectangular to an octagonal section.
                For our mast we made a set of simple marking gauges from scraps of 3/4x1
                1/2 lumber, with finish nails for the guide pins and scribers. In use,
                the gauges are held diagonally across the mast, the guide pins
                determining the angle. As this angle changes with the dimensions of the
                mast, the gauge automatically divides the face into the correct
                proportions for the octagonal section. The circular saw was used to
                rough out the octagonal shape. Be careful here - make sure you don't
                stray inside the guidelines. The jointer plane is ideal for completing
                this stage accurately.

                I don't know if I can do an accurate drawing but it looks something like
                this.

                l Scrap lumber
                l l l
                l short internal nails are the scribers
                l long external nails are the guide pins
                a b c

                Hope that helps. If necessary I can scan and send the two pages from
                that article about it.

                Iain Qwhewyl