RE: [MedievalSawdust] Elm?

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007

      No, Dutch Elm is not eradicated.  That's the bad news

      The good news is, it is not as deadly to the tree as the Chestnut Blight is to the Chestnut tree.  There are quite a few elms out there, soldiering on.

      You can still find American Chestnut, but I have never seen a healthy one.  They struggle on to halfway decent size, half rotting the whole time, providing chestnuts to critters.  But no lumber like 100+ years ago.

      Chestnut Blight is like Syphyllis, Dutch Elm is like Herpes.  One is much more severe than the other.