Re: [MedievalSawdust] wood for eating utinsils

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2007
      mesquite will, depending on how you seal it, leak a bit of flavor into things, if used as a bowl or such.  of course, i LOVE the flavor of mesquite, so thats not a bad thing, imo.  it IS hard and a pain to work. the others should be fine too.

      just make one.  unless youre specifically trying to match a time frame, any shape that gets the job done.

      On 11/24/07, lambdakennels1@... <lambdakennels1@...> wrote:

      Are there any toxicity issues with making spoons, scoops, bowls, plates and other eating utinsils from mesquite, pin oak, osage orange, or willow?  That is what primarily grows on my property, so that is what I have the most access to.

      In a related question, where do I go to find patterns for everyday items such as hair combs, spoons, plates, and other such items that were usually used until they broke, then discarded.  This means there are not many of them in museums.

      Thank you for your help.

      Lady Stephanie Lilburn
      Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
      Hunt County, Texas
      Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
      K5AMK

      --
      That which yields isn't always weak.