Simple project just looking for pictures

  • draqq0nis
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2007
      Hello group,
      Im currently working on making a period quadrant and a cross staff.
      Easy items to make but the problem I seem to be running into is that
      most sources show modern reproductions made with modern materials, what
      I would like to see is any pictures of these two items from mueseum's
      or digs and shipwrecks so I can see a truer picture of what one looked
      like. The closest Ive seen so far for a quadrant was one made of brass
      and well brass is expensive and id rather use wood till I get it down
      cold first and second the brass ones were more for the wealthy rather
      than billy bob the sailor who used wood ones. Any help or suggestions
      would be greatly appreciated.

      Dmitrii
      (who is humbled by the skill and artistry of this group)
    • Tracy Swanson

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2007
          Dmitrii

          I have been doing a good bit of research on period navigational
          isntruments. I am going to try and get a look a Morzer Bruyns The
          Cross-staff : History and Development of a Navigational Instrument at
          some point in the near future. Last time I tried to look at it the
          conveyer belt it was riding between buildings got stuck. I'll let you
          know if I find anything of interest.

          Here are some links to help you:

          Cross-staff

          http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/epact/catalogue.php?ENumber=74430&Search=cross

          Wooden Quadrant

          http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/epact/catalogue.php?
          ENumber=43745&Level=Overview&Sort=InstrumentGlossaryID

          Geoffrey
        • Chris Chastain
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 20, 2007

            I appreciate the links and any future help