Re: [MedievalSawdust] restoring antiques?

  • Lisa Wiser
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2007
      Be careful when reveneering the top. My dad and I did a table ... and a
      veneer on top to be a protection from heat and water (we weren't
      "restoring" an antique, per se ... hard to think of the table you got
      from your grandmother as an "antique" even though it was!)

      We ran into the problem of the table having been old enough and dried
      out enough that the moisture from the glue we used for the veneer made
      the top bow.

      Now, if you are looking at the table as an investment .. remember the
      truly valuable antique is one that hasn't had the finish changed ....
      but, if you can get it at a good enough price, rehabbing an old piece
      will still bring you a decent chunk of change from someone who wats the
      look and the age but isn't going for "collectible"

      Lia