What's up!

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 10, 2007

      Just finished two glastonbury style chairs.
      Now two coffer style ( inspired by Master Charles plans )

      Still need to make a table top for the trestles I made ( beech and maple legs )

      and some armor upgrades and upkeep....

      What is everyone else working on?

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 10, 2007
        Working on a replica of the Little Canfield Coffer from Little Canfield
        church in England (oak) and a portable writing box (maple) for a scribe
        (similar to the one I made for our shire to use as a Troll box.) That's
        it in wood right now, most of my play time is with glass and metal right
        now. :-)

        -Kean

        Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

        > Just finished two glastonbury style chairs.
        > Now two coffer style ( inspired by Master Charles plans )
        >
        > Still need to make a table top for the trestles I made ( beech and
        > maple legs )
        >
        > and some armor upgrades and upkeep....
        >
        > What is everyone else working on?
        >

        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        >
        > Aude Aliquid Dignum
        > ' Dare Something Worthy '
      • kirkdrago
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 11, 2007
          <baronconal@...> wrote:
          >Just finished a reliquary box. I'm making a mate to my lady's
          Glastonbury chair, and making a (non-period) child's table and chair
          for a friend's daughter.

          The chair's going to be fun as I'm making it as a ladderback, but I'm
          making the back rails about 5" wide so I can etch in fairy wings on
          each side (of the chair that is) to give the effect that when she sits
          in it, she'll have wings.

          Kirk

          > Just finished two glastonbury style chairs.
          > Now two coffer style ( inspired by Master Charles plans )
          >
          > Still need to make a table top for the trestles I made ( beech and
          maple legs )

          > and some armor upgrades and upkeep....
          >
          > What is everyone else working on?
          >

          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

        • Rebekah d'Avignon

            My name is Lady Rosamonde from Artemisia and I been a long time member
            I just havent been playing for a while , So I decided to see what is up
            and It looks like you are all haveing fun here . So hopefully I will be
            better about posting .
            My main interests are in carving , wood , stone ,whatever is workable .
            So glad to be back . thanks

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

            Forget AT&T....for more bars in more places, check out New York's lower east side or London's west end.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Talmoor
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 11, 2007
              <baronconal@...> wrote:

              > Just finished two glastonbury style chairs.
              > Now two coffer style ( inspired by Master Charles plans )
              >
              > Still need to make a table top for the trestles I made ( beech and
              maple legs )

              > and some armor upgrades and upkeep....
              >
              > What is everyone else working on?
              >

              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              >
              > Aude Aliquid Dignum
              > ' Dare Something Worthy '

              Finishing a small six board with a padded top for a prize in an
              upcoming event, building a a welsh arc for the same event and working
              on a design for a rapier stand for said event.

              Also finishing my poles for my new wall tent and padding a new helm.
              After that I can get into the big projects.

              Alasdair
              Barony of Glymm Mere
              An Tir
            • Ralph Lindberg
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 11, 2007
                Bowls, bowls, bowls, and did I mention bowls?

                A dozen small bowls for one couple, a large (16 inch) bowl for another.

                Some thumper bobbins for SWMBO

                Really need to start into this years yule gifts (mostly food mallets),
                oh ya and a special pen set for a member of the branch currently
                stationed in the sand-box

                Ralg
                AnTir
              • WR
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 11, 2007
                  WAY too much non-wood-related stuff - but in the woodworking dept:

                  Still plugging along learning T&G joints;
                  - picked up an antique Griffiths rebate plane off e-bay, and getting it
                  tweaked and tuned for the tongues.
                  - got tired of messing up the groves, so I made a ...."tool" (term used
                  loosely) for making those. I had taken some pictures in case anyone was
                  interested, but apparently they didn't hang around in the camera.
                  - lots of reading on one of our favourite topics, "dovetails"!

                  Wolf

                  Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

                  > Just finished two glastonbury style chairs.
                  > Now two coffer style ( inspired by Master Charles plans )
                  >
                  > Still need to make a table top for the trestles I made ( beech and maple legs )
                  >
                  > and some armor upgrades and upkeep....
                  >
                  > What is everyone else working on?
                  >

                  > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                  >
                  > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                  > ' Dare Something Worthy '
                • Tracy Swanson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 11, 2007
                    I am presently restoring a gothic throne whose back was snapped in half. I am replacing 6.5" of wood on both back uprights to rid them of the damage. The replacement should be sturdy enough, I am using mortise and tenon joints to add the replacement wood. This project must be completed in time for Yule, in two weeks.

                    In my spare time I am carving new plaque boards for their backs for the Barony of Wiesenfeuer - since both the Barony and the Crown use this set of chairs, the interchangeable plaque boards will come in handy. Seems the time to work on thrones - I have been asked to reverse engineer the new set of Ansteorran thrones for a bid on building a set for another Barony. Too much fun...

                    In Magical Service,
                    Malaki

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 12, 2007
                      Well, let's see:
                      Still repairing the Savanarola chair I made but had a design flaw in.  The pin I used at the cross brace was too big, and four of the leg strakes broke on assembly.

                      I'm leaning on my apprentices to get their armor pieces together so that we can field an all artisan team at the next six-man melee tourney at Tourney of the Foxes come next fall.

                      I've been asked to carve a fox head couped for a finial for a herald's baton up in Vulpine Reach and I'm looking at putting in a bid for the new Traveling Thrones for the Barony of Iron Mountain.  But I need to grunt out about six bookshelves for the living room before I start anything interesting.

                      Will

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 12, 2007
                        Troll box.

                        That's a good idea.  Get rid of the nasty metal cashbox.  I should have thought of that myself.

                        Will

                        Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

                        > Just finished two glastonbury style
                        chairs.
                        > Now two coffer style ( inspired by Master Charles plans
                        )

                        > Still need to make a table top for the trestles I made ( beech
                        and
                        > maple legs )
                        >
                        > and some armor upgrades and
                        upkeep....

                        > What is everyone else working
                        on?

                        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim
                        Hart

                        '

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 12, 2007
                          I need a lathe.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 12, 2007
                            Period or electric?

                            Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
                            I need a lathe.

                            .

                            The modern social situations in America proves that cell phones provide more talk, but not necessarily more communication.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 12, 2007
                              Oh, power.  I can do the spring pole thing, but truth to tell, I need to whip through some of this stuff faster than medieval speed.

                              Will

                              The modern social situations in America proves that cell phones provide more talk, but not necessarily more communication.

                              Do You Yahoo!?
                              http://mail. yahoo.com

                            • AlbionWood
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 12, 2007
                                Bill McNutt wrote:
                                I need a lathe.

                                I have two... :)
                                .
                                .
                                .
                                Neither of them work.  :-(

                                Colin

                              • Flemish Lady
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 12, 2007
                                  Well, the panel chest I've almost finished will have
                                  to wait about three months. I'll be involved in
                                  knitting two leg bones together. <ouch>

                                  Marthe Elsbeth

                                  wrote:

                                  > What is everyone else working on?

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Helen Schultz
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 12, 2007
                                    Has very little to do with Medieval woodworking, but I'm taping & plastering old sheetrock, then priming and painting it... then will do a little woodworking by putting up some new shelving units (maybe even making some of them) and clearing a good space to do actual woodworking in half the garage at future dates.

                                    ~~ Katarina Helene

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 12, 2007
                                      When I was married I had a brother-in-law who didn't work......nevermind.

                                      Menard's has a small, variable speed lathe for about $100 and Harbor Freight has one for a little more....depends on what you can afford and what you want.

                                      AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
                                      Bill McNutt wrote:
                                      I need a lathe.

                                      I have two... :)
                                      .
                                      .
                                      .
                                      Neither of them work.  :-(

                                      Colin

                                      The modern social situations in America prove that cell phones provide more talk, but not necessarily more communication.

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                                    • Michael T Combs
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 13, 2007
                                        plaid?

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 13, 2007
                                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                                          > I need a lathe.

                                          Seriously or wishful thinking?

                                          There are a lot of junk cheap lathes out there, while there are some
                                          inexpensive decent ones.

                                          Of course you could also spend serious money....Serious is a great
                                          lathe, but my current dream lathe is the Robust. Of course at over
                                          $5000 (US) it ain't cheap.

                                          TTFN
                                          Ralg
                                          AnTir
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 14, 2007
                                            Wishful thinking.  My list of joinery is currently too long to consider taking up turning.

                                            Will