Re: Need help waterproofing styrafoam cooler

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2002
      Ulrich,

      This is not a solution to waterproofing the styrofoam, but it is an
      alternate to blue ice. I started freezing bottled water. the
      bottles will withstand the expansion handily, they do not leak, they
      stay frozen just as long as blue ice in my experience, and they have
      the added advantage that as they thaw out, you can drink them. When
      they are half thawed and half ice, they are REALLY cold and
      refreshing. Now you have ice to keep your cooler contents cold, no
      space wasted by non-consumable blue ice, and no excess water sloshing
      around the bottom of the cooler. It works for me.

      I think before I used my time and resources trying to waterproof the
      inside of a styrofoam cooler (which indeed I have not seen and
      therefore am limited in my perspective) I would probably coat the
      inside of the chest to protect the wood from water, and put a few
      small drainage holes in the bottom of the chest. Again, that's my
      perspective which is limited by not having seen the cooler in
      question, or the plans for the chest.

      Best regards,
      -Oli

      --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@y...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Three things I hate seeing at events are modern chairs, giant
      > tupperware boxes for armor, and coolers. I hate to admit it, but
      I'm
      > as guilty as everyone else in the last two cases, but I'm trying to
      get
      > better.
      >
      > I've acquired a really nice styrafoam cooler. It's about an inch
      thick
      > all around and it has straight sides. It's not one of those cheap
      > "throw it away when you're done" coolers.
      >
      > I was planning to build a wooden chest to hide the cooler in and
      maybe
      > have it double as seating. I assumed the cooler was waterproof,
      but I
      > decided to test it by filling it with water. To my surprise, it
      > leaked. I guess the cells of foam aren't as close together as I
      > expected.
      >
      > Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can apply to the outside
      of
      > the cooler to waterproof it? If not, I guess I could use blue
      ice...

      > Thanks,
      > Ulrich

      > http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
        I use 2 liter bottles to freeze the water, cheaper then bottled water.

        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm