Woodworking at Estrella War

  • John LaTorre
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
      Greetings, all!

      Once again, I'll be at the Period Encampment/Demo Center at Estrella
      War, doing woodworking on-site. So far, I've made a bunch of stools, a
      Mastermyr-style box, and an octave mandolin at various SCA events over
      the years, all with hand tools. I'm kind of stuck for ideas this year,
      and would appreciate any suggestions for a project that I could
      accomplish in two or three days using hand tools only. I may make a
      simple musical instrument like a lyre, or perhaps another box or two.

      Also, as usual, I'm inviting any woodworkers to participate with me.
      Bring along a project of your own, and you can use my workbench and
      tools (consisting of a frame saw, a wooden plane, a brace and several
      bits, chisels, carving knives, clamps, and sharpening tools, among other
      things). In years past, people have brought spring lathes to play with,
      and used my tools to do finish projects like banner stands, rope beds,
      and toys. So let's keep the party going! I only ask that you let me know
      ahead of time, so I know what size sunshade to bring to ebssure we have
      room for all.

      YIS,

      Johann von Drachenfels

      P.S I'm posting this missive on other lists as well, so please forgive
      me if you've read this before.
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
        Johann,

        I'm looking forward to being your neighbor again, and will be
        bringing some sort of woodworking project for the event, although
        like you, I haven't figured out what to do yet, maybe a knock-down
        bench.

        Be seeing you there,
        Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
        Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, John LaTorre <jlatorre@...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings, all!
        >
        > Once again, I'll be at the Period Encampment/Demo Center at
        Estrella
        > War, doing woodworking on-site. So far, I've made a bunch of
        stools, a
        > Mastermyr-style box, and an octave mandolin at various SCA events
        over
        > the years, all with hand tools. I'm kind of stuck for ideas this
        year,
        > and would appreciate any suggestions for a project that I could
        > accomplish in two or three days using hand tools only. I may make
        > simple musical instrument like a lyre, or perhaps another box or
        two.

        > Also, as usual, I'm inviting any woodworkers to participate with
        me.
        > Bring along a project of your own, and you can use my workbench
        and
        > tools (consisting of a frame saw, a wooden plane, a brace and
        several
        > bits, chisels, carving knives, clamps, and sharpening tools, among
        other
        > things). In years past, people have brought spring lathes to play
        with,
        > and used my tools to do finish projects like banner stands, rope
        beds,
        > and toys. So let's keep the party going! I only ask that you let
        me know
        > ahead of time, so I know what size sunshade to bring to ebssure we
        have
        > room for all.
        >
        > YIS,
        >
        > Johann von Drachenfels
        >
        > P.S I'm posting this missive on other lists as well, so please
        forgive
        > me if you've read this before.

      • John LaTorre
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2009
          Greetings, all!

          The Old German Woodshop will return to Estrella War this year. I'll be
          in the Period Demo area. I'll be working on three projects: a
          collapsible stool, a rebec, and some six-board chests.

          Regarding the latter, HRL Wolfgang and I ll also be teaching a class on
          making these chests (which also serve as stools). It will be a hands-o
          class, and the student will have a finished chest to take home with him
          or her. (Finished as in joinery completed; you'll have to the apply the
          varnish or oil or milk paint or whatever yourself when you get home.)

          I'm buying materials for six students. If a larger number than that
          actually make contact with me to tell me they're interested in taking
          the class, I'll buy more, because I don't want to disappoint anybody.
          But you have to let me know, or otherwise take your chances. Please
          email me off-list if you're interested. The class is tentatively
          scheduled for Friday, from one to six, but if you can't be there but
          still want to take the class, let me know (again off-list) and we'll
          work something out.

          I'll also be teaching a class on using and sharpening scrapers. I'll be
          teaching this class twice, on Thursday and Saturday.

          Finally, I'll be repeating the "Toward a (More) Period Encampment" I've
          taught at Estrella and Pennsic Wars in the past. If anybody wants to
          help me teach this (Hey, Terafan, I'm talkin' to YOU), please let me know.

          --Freiherr Johann von Drachenfels
          Kingdom of the West
        • Karl Christoffers
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
            Hello the list, Greetings Master Johann,

            I am curious about the details of the hands-on chest class. I would have asked this question off-list, but I thought the answers would be generally useful across the SCA. So,

            What kit of tools do you provide to the students? Any bench? What preliminary work do you do on the stock before the class begins? What has been the general level of knowledge/skill you find in the students? Are there any salient lessons (big *do's* or *don't's*) you could pass on to someone who wants to put on a similar class?

            -Malcolm macGregor, An Tir

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
              Malcolm MacGregor wrote:

              > Hello the list, Greetings Master Johann,
              >
              > I am curious about the details of the hands-on chest class. I would have asked this question off-list, but I thought the answers would be generally useful across the SCA. So,
              >
              > What kit of tools do you provide to the students? Any bench? What preliminary work do you do on the stock before the class begins? What has been the general level of knowledge/skill you find in the students? Are there any salient lessons (big *do's* or *don't's*) you could pass on to someone who wants to put on a similar class?

              What we'll be doing is making chests that conform closely to the ones
              described on this link:

              http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/chest4simple.pdf

              I'll let the students decide whether to build the top as described with
              hinges or make the top completely removable.

              The panels will probably be pre-cut to their working lengths, to make
              transport easier. The students will be trimming the panels, removing the
              wood sections that form the joint using saws and such, drilling the
              holes for the dowels (screws may also be provided), and assembling the
              chest with aforesaid dowels, screws, and glue. Edges will be rounded,
              and so on. We won't provide finishing materials such as paint or
              varnish, because when we tried that with the psaltery class two years
              ago, some wet weather moved in and the finishes took forever to dry. So
              we'll leave it up to you to apply the finish of your choice when you get
              home.

              We'll have two workbenches (my medieval bench and a "Workmate" clone)
              and provide the necessary glue, drills, clamps and saws and such.

              I don't expect the student to have a great deal of woodworking skill,
              only the ability to saw a reasonably straight line and a healthy respect
              for sharp things. As for salient advice, maybe you'd better ask me that
              after the class, not before! All I can say now, based on similar classes
              I've taught, is that people learn by doing, people learn at various
              rates, and that instructors should be patient. Above all, have fun!

              --Johann von Drachenfels
              West Kingdom
            • John LaTorre
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
                Greetings (and apologies in advance for the cross-posting)!

                This is to let you know that I'll be bringing my wood shop to the
                Estrella War Period Demo Area. Please come by to look or, even better,
                help me make wood chips and shavings and sawdust. I'll have table space
                and my workbench for you to use, as well as enough tools to actually
                make something. You bring your tools and wood and skills, and we'll have
                a blast.

                I haven't decided exactly what projects I'm bringing, but they will
                probably include a six-board box and the rebec (period fiddle) that I've
                been working on for some time now.

                For those who don't know, the Estrella War is held near Phoenix,
                Arizona, and this year it will take place at the end of March.

                I'll also be teaching two classes: one is a tentmaking seminar, and the
                other is an introduction to making and using period vegetable oil lamps,
                where if you bring a vessel or two (like a jelly jar), you can walk out
                with a functional lamp. Details are on the Estrella Web site.

                Johann von Drachenfels
                West Kingdom
              • leaking pen

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
                    Milord Johann--you make me (for the first time in my life!) wish I lived
                    near Phoenix!

                    I see you're based in the West--any chance of getting you up to AnTir
                    events with your presentations and classes? I've very much enjoyed the
                    working-craft areas in events I've attended, and now bring a _period_
                    blacksmith shop to add to them. Alessaundre and some others already bring
                    a period woodshop to Egils Tourney in Adiantum, but the more the better.

                    Ulfhedinn
                  • Royce
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012

                      Seconded…

                      The wife and I decided on Pennsic this year instead of Estrella…

                      Johann, If you ever decide to do anything down in Caid, I would be very interested.

                      Bercilak

                      Starkhafn, Caid.