Re: [MedievalSawdust] campaign furniture

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
      not period.... but you can use a lot of the items as inspiration for something
      that looks medieval....

      http://www.abramsbooks.co.uk/index.php/d///0810957116/

      I'll look around through my stuff for more.

      But you do need to consider that the space we have to transport our stuff
      in is a lot smaller than a noble would have in period....a lot of their items
      would not need to be disassembled for transport.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
        And they had all those pesky servants to do the packing!

        Lia

        Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
        > not period.... but you can use a lot of the items as inspiration for
        > something
        > that looks medieval....
        >
        > http://www.abramsbooks.co.uk/index.php/d///0810957116/
        > <http://www.abramsbooks.co.uk/index.php/d///0810957116/>
        >
        > I'll look around through my stuff for more.
        >
        > But you do need to consider that the space we have to transport our stuff
        > in is a lot smaller than a noble would have in period....a lot of
        > their items
        > would not need to be disassembled for transport.
      • Eric
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
          Lady Lilburn,

          This type of request for information about accurate items always
          deserves a question in response. When and where are you trying to
          portray? Identifying your target culture, region and century allows
          for more detailed responses.

          By the way, the Romans had great campaign gear, there are quite a
          few sources for them. I would probably go that route, if I wasn't
          already so invested in the 10c Vikings in Dublin set-up...

          Yours in Service to the Dream,
          Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
          Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "lambdakennels1@..."

        • lambdakennels1@juno.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
            My persona is an 8th century Irish lady.  However, I am more interested in finding a comfortable bed than in staying with that time period.  I just want to be consistent with whatever time period I go with so that the whole tent is one time period, not a mix.  Roman furniture would probably be good, as they did campaign a lot, and their wall tents are fairly comfortable.

            <lambdakennels1@...> wrote:

            > Speaking of books, does anyone have a good source of information
            on campaign furniture?  I am talking about the kind of break-down
            furniture the aristocrats took to furnish their tents when going to
            war.  I am tired of sleeping on a tiny tent cot and having to share
            it with a standard poodle and a red heeler.  I would like to build
            some break-down furniture to take when going to SCA events and
            camping, and would rather build something that would have actually
            been used than not.  Thank you.
            > Lady Stephanie Lilburn
            > aka Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
            > Hunt County, Texas
            > Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
            > K5AMK

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional