Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Books?

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
      I'll repost some comments I made a few months ago about woodworking
      books with relevant material:

      15 Feb 07:

      The first is the recently published 'Roman Woodworking' by Roger
      Ulrich (ISBN13: 978-0-300-10341-0) 2007 Yale. Very interesting study
      of surviving Roman woodwork, including architectural use as well as
      furniture, but not 'small finds'. I got my copy from Amazon for $85US.

      After I had a quick skim thru' this I did a search for 'Wooden
      Furniture in Herculaneum' by Stephan Mols ISBN 90 5063 317 X 1999
      Gieben, which is much referenced by Ulrich. I found this on sale at
      Oxbow books for 20 Pounds, but its since gone back up to 130 pounds(!!).
      <snip>
      If you are interested, I'd recommend getting 'Roman Woodworking' as
      it covers most of what is in 'Wooden Furniture' and has more on
      building work, plus it is cheaper to boot. Get 'Wooden Furniture' on
      I.L.L. if possible

      26 Feb 07:

      <snip>
      This seems to be the same Carole Anne Morris who wrote the wood book
      for the York Archeological Trust (Craft Industry and Everyday Life:
      Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York), still
      in print at 34 Pounds Sterling from Oxbow & a really, really good
      book, with lots on turning.

      <snip>

      'Before the Mast' from the Mary Rose Trust has a number of securely
      dateable woodworking tools, or at least their wooden remains, as well
      a number of wooden artifacts. Plus a few hundred other odds & sods
      all dateable as 'in use' on an exact day.

      'Before the Mast: Life and Death aboard the Mary Rose' edited by
      Julie Gardiner

      I hae copies of all the above books, and as far as I am aware, all
      these are 'in print' and are available from Oxbow Books
      http://www.oxbowbooks.com
      They have a US agent.
      Amazon have some of these titles available - check Amazon UK as well
      - the list of book IS slightly different, with the UK site having
      more "English' titles.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney
      Rowany/Lochac
      Sydney/Australia
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
        For those Gentles who expressed a desire to see pictures of the 2 Crosses I restored [for the exhibition at the newly-renovated, "gothick-revival" St. Thomas' Church in St. Helier, "old" Jersey], - I now have a picture of each restored cross to upload to the List Photo files, as they requested.
        I can adjust the images with my graphics programme, for maximum permissable image-resolution, - if someone would please tell me what the preferred/allowable image sizes might be. I don't wish to take-up more space in the Photo Files than others who have more to show than I.

        Yours in Service,
        "Matthew Baker",
        dwelling in "old" Jersey, off the Norman/Breton coast.
        [aka in 2007 as Julian Wilson, Master Carpenter, resident in the same Island]
      • Keith Walker
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
          Devin.
          As you may no, I work at making miniatures, but the book I find great
          is----The English Home--by Doreen Yarwood----isbn 0 713408057,I know
          is out of print but have a look on ebay.
          The book covers Anglo Saxon to 1160-----right though to 1860--1914,
          It shows details on interiors and covers furniture of the period
          Keith

          Keith Walker maker of roomboxes,dioramas, modern and period
          miniature furniture.
          Near enough is good enough when near enough is dead right.
          http://community.webshots.com/user/theshedroof
          http://members.lycos.co.uk/kwminiatures/

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

          > What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
          > My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to
          start thinking about Christmas.

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
            We have 22% of our 100MB storage filled....

            if they are HUGE files you could always got to photobucket.com
            and host them there....

            Still do not understand why yahoo gives unlimited storage to
            individuals and limits the storage for it's groups....

            For those Gentles who expressed a desire to see pictures of the 2 Crosses I restored [for the exhibition at the newly-renovated, "gothick-revival" St. Thomas' Church in St. Helier, "old" Jersey], - I now have a picture of each restored cross to upload to the List Photo files, as they requested.
            I can adjust the images with my graphics programme, for maximum permissable image-resolution, - if someone would please tell me what the preferred/allowable image sizes might be. I don't wish to take-up more space in the Photo Files than others who have more to show than I.

            Yours in Service,
            "Matthew Baker",
            dwelling in "old" Jersey, off the Norman/Breton coast.
            [aka in 2007 as Julian Wilson, Master Carpenter, resident in the same Island]

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Keith Walker
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Walker"
              <theshedroof@...> wrote:

              > Devin.---sorry about the spelling mistake
              > As you may know, I work at making miniatures, but the book I find
              great
              > is----The English Home--by Doreen Yarwood----isbn 0 713408057,I
              know
              > is out of print but have a look on ebay.
              > The book covers Anglo Saxon to 1160-----right though to 1860--1914,
              > It shows details on interiors and covers furniture of the period
              > Keith
              >
              > Keith Walker maker of roomboxes,dioramas, modern and period
              > miniature furniture.
              > Near enough is good enough when near enough is dead right.
              > http://community.webshots.com/user/theshedroof
              > http://members.lycos.co.uk/kwminiatures/
              >

              > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@ wrote:
              > >
              > > What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
              > > My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to
              > start thinking about Christmas.
              > >
              > > Devin

            • Derek Olson
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                I have enjoyed and gotten many ideas from these two books by Daniel
                Diehl
                Constructing Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehl ISBN 0-8117-2795-5

                http://www.amazon.com/Constructing-Medieval-Furniture-Instructions-
                Historical/dp/0811727955/ref=sr_1_1/002-0199466-9612872?
                ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194243118&sr=1-1

                and Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehl and Mark Donnelly ISBN 0-8117-
                2854-4

                http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Furniture-Instructions-Historical-
                Reproductions/dp/0811728544/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/002-0199466-9612872

                and for tool references I have to say I love this book, it is out of
                print but with some searching you can find a copy for around 30$

                The Mästermyr Find: A Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland By by Greta
                Arwidsson, and Gosta Berg ISBN 0-9650755-1-6

                http://www.amazon.com/M%C3%A4stermyr-Find-Viking-Chest-
                Gotland/dp/0965075516/ref=sr_11_1/002-0199466-9612872?
                ie=UTF8&qid=1194243487&sr=11-1

                hope this helps

                Oldwolf

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

                > What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
                > My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to
                start thinking about Christmas.

                > Devin

              • Michael T Combs
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
                  I love Roy's shows and his books.  They have so much information about techniques and tools

                  Michaeus

                  Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
                  Unless you are looking for books with potential period projects
                  any book on handtools would be a good edition to your library

                  Roy Underhill's books

                • barondevin@insightbb.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 17, 2007

                    Thank you to everyone who replied.