Re: [MedievalSawdust] Books?

  • Brin Kendall
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
      What period??

      barondevin@... wrote:
      What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
      My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to start thinking about Christmas.

      Devin

    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
        Which brings the following up, I just ran across a book on Roman
        woodworking just published this year, the down side is the $85 (US)
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0300103417/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-9781955-3738227?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

        Fortunately you can see a preview on Google-Books
        http://books.google.com/books?id=DDh5yOgfnuoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Roman+Woodworking+ulrich&sig=B5CFs3y_sNqMkWLUF38wtT2-0Rs

        TTFN
        Ralg
        An Tir
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
          Unless you are looking for books with potential period projects
          any book on handtools would be a good edition to your library

          Roy Underhill's books

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • barondevin@insightbb.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007

            >> What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
            > What period??

            I'm mostly interested in the SCA's time period, western Europe from 600-1600 A.D.

            Devin
          • Bruce S. R. Lee
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
              I'll repost some comments I made a few months ago about woodworking
              books with relevant material:

              15 Feb 07:

              The first is the recently published 'Roman Woodworking' by Roger
              Ulrich (ISBN13: 978-0-300-10341-0) 2007 Yale. Very interesting study
              of surviving Roman woodwork, including architectural use as well as
              furniture, but not 'small finds'. I got my copy from Amazon for $85US.

              After I had a quick skim thru' this I did a search for 'Wooden
              Furniture in Herculaneum' by Stephan Mols ISBN 90 5063 317 X 1999
              Gieben, which is much referenced by Ulrich. I found this on sale at
              Oxbow books for 20 Pounds, but its since gone back up to 130 pounds(!!).
              <snip>
              If you are interested, I'd recommend getting 'Roman Woodworking' as
              it covers most of what is in 'Wooden Furniture' and has more on
              building work, plus it is cheaper to boot. Get 'Wooden Furniture' on
              I.L.L. if possible

              26 Feb 07:

              <snip>
              This seems to be the same Carole Anne Morris who wrote the wood book
              for the York Archeological Trust (Craft Industry and Everyday Life:
              Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York), still
              in print at 34 Pounds Sterling from Oxbow & a really, really good
              book, with lots on turning.

              <snip>

              'Before the Mast' from the Mary Rose Trust has a number of securely
              dateable woodworking tools, or at least their wooden remains, as well
              a number of wooden artifacts. Plus a few hundred other odds & sods
              all dateable as 'in use' on an exact day.

              'Before the Mast: Life and Death aboard the Mary Rose' edited by
              Julie Gardiner

              I hae copies of all the above books, and as far as I am aware, all
              these are 'in print' and are available from Oxbow Books
              http://www.oxbowbooks.com
              They have a US agent.
              Amazon have some of these titles available - check Amazon UK as well
              - the list of book IS slightly different, with the UK site having
              more "English' titles.

              regards
              Brusi of Orkney
              Rowany/Lochac
              Sydney/Australia
            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
                For those Gentles who expressed a desire to see pictures of the 2 Crosses I restored [for the exhibition at the newly-renovated, "gothick-revival" St. Thomas' Church in St. Helier, "old" Jersey], - I now have a picture of each restored cross to upload to the List Photo files, as they requested.
                I can adjust the images with my graphics programme, for maximum permissable image-resolution, - if someone would please tell me what the preferred/allowable image sizes might be. I don't wish to take-up more space in the Photo Files than others who have more to show than I.

                Yours in Service,
                "Matthew Baker",
                dwelling in "old" Jersey, off the Norman/Breton coast.
                [aka in 2007 as Julian Wilson, Master Carpenter, resident in the same Island]
              • Keith Walker
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
                  Devin.
                  As you may no, I work at making miniatures, but the book I find great
                  is----The English Home--by Doreen Yarwood----isbn 0 713408057,I know
                  is out of print but have a look on ebay.
                  The book covers Anglo Saxon to 1160-----right though to 1860--1914,
                  It shows details on interiors and covers furniture of the period
                  Keith

                  Keith Walker maker of roomboxes,dioramas, modern and period
                  miniature furniture.
                  Near enough is good enough when near enough is dead right.
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/theshedroof
                  http://members.lycos.co.uk/kwminiatures/

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
                    We have 22% of our 100MB storage filled....

                    if they are HUGE files you could always got to photobucket.com
                    and host them there....

                    Still do not understand why yahoo gives unlimited storage to
                    individuals and limits the storage for it's groups....

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Walker"
                      <theshedroof@...> wrote:

                      > Devin.---sorry about the spelling mistake
                      > As you may know, I work at making miniatures, but the book I find
                      great
                      > is----The English Home--by Doreen Yarwood----isbn 0 713408057,I
                      know
                      > is out of print but have a look on ebay.
                      > The book covers Anglo Saxon to 1160-----right though to 1860--1914,
                      > It shows details on interiors and covers furniture of the period
                      > Keith
                      >
                      > Keith Walker maker of roomboxes,dioramas, modern and period
                      > miniature furniture.
                      > Near enough is good enough when near enough is dead right.
                      > http://community.webshots.com/user/theshedroof
                      > http://members.lycos.co.uk/kwminiatures/
                      >

                      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@ wrote:
                      > >
                      > > What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
                      > > My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to
                      > start thinking about Christmas.
                      > >
                      > > Devin

                    • Derek Olson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                        I have enjoyed and gotten many ideas from these two books by Daniel
                        Diehl
                        Constructing Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehl ISBN 0-8117-2795-5

                        http://www.amazon.com/Constructing-Medieval-Furniture-Instructions-
                        Historical/dp/0811727955/ref=sr_1_1/002-0199466-9612872?
                        ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194243118&sr=1-1

                        and Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehl and Mark Donnelly ISBN 0-8117-
                        2854-4

                        http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Furniture-Instructions-Historical-
                        Reproductions/dp/0811728544/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/002-0199466-9612872

                        and for tool references I have to say I love this book, it is out of
                        print but with some searching you can find a copy for around 30$

                        The Mästermyr Find: A Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland By by Greta
                        Arwidsson, and Gosta Berg ISBN 0-9650755-1-6

                        http://www.amazon.com/M%C3%A4stermyr-Find-Viking-Chest-
                        Gotland/dp/0965075516/ref=sr_11_1/002-0199466-9612872?
                        ie=UTF8&qid=1194243487&sr=11-1

                        hope this helps

                        Oldwolf

                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

                        > What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
                        > My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to
                        start thinking about Christmas.

                        > Devin

                      • Michael T Combs
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
                          I love Roy's shows and his books.  They have so much information about techniques and tools

                          Michaeus

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 17, 2007

                            Thank you to everyone who replied.

                            Devin