Books?

  • barondevin@insightbb.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007

      What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?

      My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to start thinking about Christmas.

      Devin

    • Brin Kendall
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
        What period??

        barondevin@... wrote:
        What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
        My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to start thinking about Christmas.

        Devin

      • Ralph Lindberg
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
          Which brings the following up, I just ran across a book on Roman
          woodworking just published this year, the down side is the $85 (US)
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0300103417/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-9781955-3738227?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

          Fortunately you can see a preview on Google-Books
          http://books.google.com/books?id=DDh5yOgfnuoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Roman+Woodworking+ulrich&sig=B5CFs3y_sNqMkWLUF38wtT2-0Rs

          TTFN
          Ralg
          An Tir
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
            Unless you are looking for books with potential period projects
            any book on handtools would be a good edition to your library

            Roy Underhill's books

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • barondevin@insightbb.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007

              >> What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
              > What period??

              I'm mostly interested in the SCA's time period, western Europe from 600-1600 A.D.

              Devin
            • Bruce S. R. Lee
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                I'll repost some comments I made a few months ago about woodworking
                books with relevant material:

                15 Feb 07:

                The first is the recently published 'Roman Woodworking' by Roger
                Ulrich (ISBN13: 978-0-300-10341-0) 2007 Yale. Very interesting study
                of surviving Roman woodwork, including architectural use as well as
                furniture, but not 'small finds'. I got my copy from Amazon for $85US.

                After I had a quick skim thru' this I did a search for 'Wooden
                Furniture in Herculaneum' by Stephan Mols ISBN 90 5063 317 X 1999
                Gieben, which is much referenced by Ulrich. I found this on sale at
                Oxbow books for 20 Pounds, but its since gone back up to 130 pounds(!!).
                <snip>
                If you are interested, I'd recommend getting 'Roman Woodworking' as
                it covers most of what is in 'Wooden Furniture' and has more on
                building work, plus it is cheaper to boot. Get 'Wooden Furniture' on
                I.L.L. if possible

                26 Feb 07:

                <snip>
                This seems to be the same Carole Anne Morris who wrote the wood book
                for the York Archeological Trust (Craft Industry and Everyday Life:
                Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York), still
                in print at 34 Pounds Sterling from Oxbow & a really, really good
                book, with lots on turning.

                <snip>

                'Before the Mast' from the Mary Rose Trust has a number of securely
                dateable woodworking tools, or at least their wooden remains, as well
                a number of wooden artifacts. Plus a few hundred other odds & sods
                all dateable as 'in use' on an exact day.

                'Before the Mast: Life and Death aboard the Mary Rose' edited by
                Julie Gardiner

                I hae copies of all the above books, and as far as I am aware, all
                these are 'in print' and are available from Oxbow Books
                http://www.oxbowbooks.com
                They have a US agent.
                Amazon have some of these titles available - check Amazon UK as well
                - the list of book IS slightly different, with the UK site having
                more "English' titles.

                regards
                Brusi of Orkney
                Rowany/Lochac
                Sydney/Australia
              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
                  For those Gentles who expressed a desire to see pictures of the 2 Crosses I restored [for the exhibition at the newly-renovated, "gothick-revival" St. Thomas' Church in St. Helier, "old" Jersey], - I now have a picture of each restored cross to upload to the List Photo files, as they requested.
                  I can adjust the images with my graphics programme, for maximum permissable image-resolution, - if someone would please tell me what the preferred/allowable image sizes might be. I don't wish to take-up more space in the Photo Files than others who have more to show than I.

                  Yours in Service,
                  "Matthew Baker",
                  dwelling in "old" Jersey, off the Norman/Breton coast.
                  [aka in 2007 as Julian Wilson, Master Carpenter, resident in the same Island]
                • Keith Walker
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
                    Devin.
                    As you may no, I work at making miniatures, but the book I find great
                    is----The English Home--by Doreen Yarwood----isbn 0 713408057,I know
                    is out of print but have a look on ebay.
                    The book covers Anglo Saxon to 1160-----right though to 1860--1914,
                    It shows details on interiors and covers furniture of the period
                    Keith

                    Keith Walker maker of roomboxes,dioramas, modern and period
                    miniature furniture.
                    Near enough is good enough when near enough is dead right.
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/theshedroof
                    http://members.lycos.co.uk/kwminiatures/

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
                      We have 22% of our 100MB storage filled....

                      if they are HUGE files you could always got to photobucket.com
                      and host them there....

                      Still do not understand why yahoo gives unlimited storage to
                      individuals and limits the storage for it's groups....

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Walker"
                        <theshedroof@...> wrote:

                        > Devin.---sorry about the spelling mistake
                        > As you may know, I work at making miniatures, but the book I find
                        great
                        > is----The English Home--by Doreen Yarwood----isbn 0 713408057,I
                        know
                        > is out of print but have a look on ebay.
                        > The book covers Anglo Saxon to 1160-----right though to 1860--1914,
                        > It shows details on interiors and covers furniture of the period
                        > Keith
                        >
                        > Keith Walker maker of roomboxes,dioramas, modern and period
                        > miniature furniture.
                        > Near enough is good enough when near enough is dead right.
                        > http://community.webshots.com/user/theshedroof
                        > http://members.lycos.co.uk/kwminiatures/
                        >

                        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@ wrote:
                        > >
                        > > What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
                        > > My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to
                        > start thinking about Christmas.
                        > >
                        > > Devin

                      • Derek Olson
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                          I have enjoyed and gotten many ideas from these two books by Daniel
                          Diehl
                          Constructing Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehl ISBN 0-8117-2795-5

                          http://www.amazon.com/Constructing-Medieval-Furniture-Instructions-
                          Historical/dp/0811727955/ref=sr_1_1/002-0199466-9612872?
                          ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194243118&sr=1-1

                          and Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehl and Mark Donnelly ISBN 0-8117-
                          2854-4

                          http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Furniture-Instructions-Historical-
                          Reproductions/dp/0811728544/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/002-0199466-9612872

                          and for tool references I have to say I love this book, it is out of
                          print but with some searching you can find a copy for around 30$

                          The Mästermyr Find: A Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland By by Greta
                          Arwidsson, and Gosta Berg ISBN 0-9650755-1-6

                          http://www.amazon.com/M%C3%A4stermyr-Find-Viking-Chest-
                          Gotland/dp/0965075516/ref=sr_11_1/002-0199466-9612872?
                          ie=UTF8&qid=1194243487&sr=11-1

                          hope this helps

                          Oldwolf

                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

                          > What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
                          > My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to
                          start thinking about Christmas.

                          > Devin

                        • Michael T Combs
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
                            I love Roy's shows and his books.  They have so much information about techniques and tools

                            Michaeus

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 17, 2007

                              Thank you to everyone who replied.

                              Devin