Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Wood Toxicity Site

  • Trevor Payne
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 26, 2007
      if your fogging your glasses with an N95 mask (the white ones everyone wears)  you need to get a different size. It is probably to small.  Go up a size or 2 and try again.

      Aiden

      Rebekah d'Avignon <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:
      I know that respiratory masks are very necessary, but the problem that I have (paper mask) is that they fog my glasses. Not a good idea when working with a table saw. I also wear the $2 goggles....they fit over my glasses well enough, but scratch very easily (better than scratching my eyes, I suppose).

      John LaTorre <jlatorre@midtown. net> wrote:

      It brings up a question ... what recommendations do people have for
      respirators/ filters? (Yeah, I know they're not period, but abbreviated
      lifespans are not a part of the Middle Ages that we are trying to
      re-create.)

      --Johann von Drachenfels

      More heroes are made by the misrepresentation of history than by deeds of valor.
      Do You Yahoo!?
      http://mail. yahoo.com

      "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
      --Benjamin Franklin--

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Kean Gryffyth
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 26, 2007
        Johann Friedrich wrote:
        > For the DIY type people out there, here is an interesting solution to this
        > problem:
        >
        > http://steampunkworkshop.com/respirator.shtml
        >
        > The rest of the site is definitly not period, but dangerous for people who
        > like to build things.
        >
        > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Don Eisele wrote:

        Oh, I know that site... How right you are. Not period, BUT OHHH SO
        TEMPTING TO PLAY WITH!

        -Kean
      • Tracy Swanson
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 28, 2007
          I use a double filter mask. It will filter out all but the finer fumes such as lacquer. It will stop any dust from getting into your lungs, fits better than paper and won't tend to fog your specs. The filters are replaceable, so you don't have to buy another until the rubber starts to go bad (usually around the bridge of the nose, but after several years of service).

          In Magical Service,
          Malaki

          .

        • Ralph Lindberg
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 30, 2007
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, John LaTorre <jlatorre@...> wrote:

            > It brings up a question ... what recommendations do people have for
            > respirators/filters? (Yeah, I know they're not period, but abbreviated
            > lifespans are not a part of the Middle Ages that we are trying to
            > re-create.)

            One of my "rules" is there are two types of woodworkers, those that
            are sensitive to wood-dust, and those that will be.

            Personally, since I have a beard, I use the Trend Airshield Model
            AS1, the new model is supposed to be improved, but since they don't
            ship until Nov....
            http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?Category=17&PageAction=VIEWCATS

            A step up in quality, is the 3M Airstream
            http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=21

            The advantage these have, is a full-face shield (ie no wood bits in
            your face, a good thing when you are a turner)

            But, since I am a belt & suspender sort of guy, I also have a Dust
            Collector and a whole-shop air-filter.

            Ya, I've spent a bunch-o-money on keeping saw dust out of my lung
            Even with all that I spent less then I would on a lung transplant. But
            then I know too many (three living, one dead) woodworkers that
            developed various problems with wood-dust.

            TTFN
            Ralg
            AnTir
          • Rebekah d'Avignon
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 31, 2007
              Now that we are having cooler temps - I moved a 20" box fan (window fan) into my "shop" and taped a 20 x 20 furnace filter ($5) to it. Why does anyone use duct tape - it doesn't stick to anything. After it ran overnight I saw that it had trapped A BUNCH of air-borne stuff. I still sweep the floor (broom and dustpan) but at least the fine matter is gone.

              Ralph Lindberg <n7bsn@...> wrote:
[...]

              Forget AT&T....for more bars in more places, check out New York's lower east side or London's west end.

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • scorch
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 31, 2007
                This is a solution that gets into the various woodworking magazines periodically.

                The version I like best is to build a frame that the box fan sits in, with guides in
                front of the fan (intake side), that the furnace filter slides into. This way it's easy
                to remove the filter to clean or replace it. The best version fits two filters together
                for an extra layer of filtering.

                Eoin