Re: Dovetails

  • kjworzie
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 7, 2003

      > -- In some periods/regions, production techniques were highly
      regulated. My
      > own area of study is English Tudor, and for members of the livery
      companies
      > of Tudor London, the use of unapproved tools or techniques brought
      a hefty
      > fine; repeat offenders might be expelled from their
      company. "Searchers"
      > were empowered by the company to inspect members and levy fines as
      needed.
      > If you are using an unapproved technique, you have a good reason to
      hide it.

      > --

      But what about before that guild took hold? Why so few dovetailed
      joints in 1100 AD? Or 900 AD? The strength of the mechanics make it
      very desireable, even if you accept the notion that glues available
      were inferior to more modern glues (i disagree with this "bad glue"
      theory that seems so popular, but that's another discussion)
      Dovetails are no harder to construct than rectilinear mostise and
      tenon, and that joint was widely extant. The tools needed to make
      dovetails are the same as mortise and tenon.

      Admitedly, the joint may have to be 're-invented' if the procedure
      was lost to time for a while between ancient Egypt and the
      Renaissance, and the difficulty jumping that hurdle is hard to gauge.
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 17, 2009
        I am interested in locating some details
        (including images) as to the construction of the
        St. Paulinus (died 358AD) Trèves (transferred
        395AD) coffin "joined by means of dovetailing".
        As the wood is described as 'cedar', there is
        some question as to where the coffin was made.

        From page 219,
        Battiscombe, C. F. The Relics of Saint Cuthbert; Studies by Various
        Authors. Oxford: Printed for the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral
        at the University Press, 1956. OCLC 4071903
        http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/4071903

        footnotes 10/11 refer to detailed accounts of the
        coffin in Bonner Jahrbücher vol. lxxvii, 1884,
        pp. 238 ff; vol. lxxviii, 1884 pp. 173

        Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn, and Rhine
        Province (Germany). Bonner Jahrbücher. 1842.
        ISSN:0067-9976 OCLC Number: 3459165 or OCLC
        Number: 213803943 microfilm, OCLC Number: 297237884 eJournal

        If anyone has seen the coffin or the journal
        articles referenced above (or preferably a more
        recent analysis in English), please post the
        information. It would be most appreciated,

        Thank you.
        Beth Matney