OOP, but still SCA

  • Ralph Lindberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007
      I suspect I am not the only turner in the group, nor the only one that
      sometimes turns (modern) pens and pencils.
      I just got the new HUT products catalog, and they have a number of pen
      and pencil kits that use a Laurel wreath for decoration:

      http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1441
      http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1445
      http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1450
      http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1452
      http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1454
      http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1458

      Looks like I have yet another project... lets see where is that
      lacewood.. (think about a lacewood pen/pencil with a Laurel Wreath
      decoration for a Laurel that does lace)

      TTFN
      Ralg
      AnTir
    • Tracy Swanson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007
        Nice pen kits! These would make great gifts for the holidays, as long as the receiver isn't an authenticity maven. But for those who are, I have heard of a stylus that was used to hold a piece of silver or lead. I have read that such a tool was somewhat common by Leonardo's time and that he used one to write many of his notes. The soft metal dowel would be rounded over and held in a stylus handle, then used to write on paper. I made a stylus using a Woodcraft multi-tool kit (primarily for the colet nut fitting) and loaded it with a rod of silver (I also put a feather into the other end for decorative purposes). The piece was turned in lacewood and looked great, but the silver was far too hard to make any discernable mark onto the paper. I have not yet tried to use  a rod of lead, and tend to avoid it due to its toxicity. Has anyone else read or heard of such an implement? I had no plans or pictures to go by, so I just started to experiment.

        In Magical Service,
        Malaki

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007
          Ohhh.... those would be a nice 'reminder' for the Laurels who always end up
          having to judge A&S. (I hate carrying a bic in my basket so I can write
          notes to leave by displays.)

          They are pretty.

          Hrothny
        • Barbara Dodge
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007
            Oh Hrothny,

            Is that a hint?

            Felicia
            (Whose workshop is not finished, but finally useable!)

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...>
              wrote:

              > Oh Hrothny,
              >
              > Is that a hint?

              SWMBO has informed me my missive was forwarded to the
              Known-World-Laurels list (remember the bit about a lace-working Laurel)

              Hut will do custom pen-clips. I wonder if I could get enough detail
              for a Pelican in it's Piety to be recognizable.....

              TTFN
              Ralg
              AnTir
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007

                Workshops are NEVER finished.

                Will

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007
                  Yeah, I know.  But I've been working on mine since April!  (We built from the ground up.)  I now have to round up some help to move my band saw, drill press, and a few other things from storage.

                  If anyone from my area (Marinus/Norfolk, VA) is listening, I plan on offering a lasagna dinner as bribery!