Re: chip carving

  • Jan-Simon Hoogschagen
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
      As far as I know, chip carving does not exist on early medieval
      furniture and other surviving pieces. At least, I have not seen it
      mentioned in the books, or saw pictures of it.
      As already said in this discussion, it does appear on chests from the
      13th / 14th century.
      I will check the book by Florian Westphal this evening (beautiful book
      by the way), when I am back home to see if I have not missed any chip
      carvings. Will also go through Barbara Grodde's book on early medieval
      furniture, just in case.

      best wishes,
      Jan-Simon

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney

    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
        A lot would depend on your definition of chip carving.

        Does it have to be in wood?

        What we recognize today as chip carving has roots in the styles that matured in Switzerland post period.

        Every treatise I read about Chip Carving always say that "is an ancient method of decoration" but never cites examples. Citations, the lack thereof, is a bane to our research.

        Links
        http://www.caithness.org/community/crafts/chipcarving/McIvorandAllen.htm
        cites especially the geometric carving influence from Islam

        http://www.fifulls.com/site/837579/page/45030

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        From: "Jan-Simon Hoogschagen" <jan-simon@...>
        > As far as I know, chip carving does not exist on early medieval
        > furniture and other surviving pieces. At least, I have not seen it
        > mentioned in the books, or saw pictures of it.
        > As already said in this discussion, it does appear on chests from the
        > 13th / 14th century.
        > I will check the book by Florian Westphal this evening (beautiful book
        > by the way), when I am back home to see if I have not missed any chip
        > carvings. Will also go through Barbara Grodde's book on early medieval
        > furniture, just in case.
        >
        > best wishes,
        > Jan-Simon
        >
        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
        > <bmatney@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > We have taken photos of chests (of about that date) that have rondels
        > > decorating them in chip carving. Of other earlier surviving carving
        > > (such as on early stave churches), I have not found chip carving and
        > > was hoping that someone else had.. given the quote from the book that
        > > I posted with the question. I'll check Barton's books (don't have any
        > > of his) and see if he has earlier examples or others that we do not
        > > have. Lazy I guess, looks like lots of ILL of German Holzfunde...
        > >
        > > BTW. There is a new book out on Holzfunde from Haithabu (wooden finds
        > > from Hedeby)... bit pricey with the exchange rate though.
        > >
        > > Holzfunde von Haithabu (Gebundene Ausgabe) von Florian Westphal.
        > > Gebundene Ausgabe: 248 Seiten Verlag: Wachholtz; Auflage: 1 (2007)
        > > Sprache: Deutsch ISBN-10: 3529014117 EUR 70,00
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Beth
        > >
        > > At 07:30 PM 10/6/2007, you wrote:
        > > >That's going to be tough since wood tends to deteriorate. You might
        > > >check Wayne Barton's books, I've seen some pix of early work in
        > > >there - nothing before 1300, I believe.
        > > >
        > > >Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:
        > > >I did a search as you suggested, but could not find early examples..
        > > >(lots of post 1600 though). I'm looking for really early examples of
        > > >chip carving.. preferable pre-1000
        > > >
        > > >Thanks
        > > >Beth

      • Bruce S. R. Lee
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
          In stone, do a search on 'Jesus Family Tomb' - at least one of the
          ossuaries has 'chip' carved rosettes. Photos are in the May/June 2007
          (vol 18 No.3) issue of Minerva, if you local library gets it.

          There are a lot of 'chip' carved designs in stone from the
          'Classical' world, just that the amount of surviving wood is very
          limited. I'll have to do a quick search of my Roman woodworking books
          to see if anything survived from Herculaneum.

          regards
          Brusi of Orkney
          Rowany/Lochac