RE: [MedievalSawdust] chip carving

  • Rebekah d'Avignon
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 7, 2007
      You may be talking about An Introduction to the History of the Woodcut (Vols I & II). I got mine from eBay.

      Dale Compton <DComptonjr@...> wrote:
      Look for items done by Durer (sp?) He is late period but did some really good work. Most of what he did was for prints etc. Other examples of chip carving where on furniture. I will see if I can find some examples for you.

      Innis
      .

      The quantity of "civilization" possessed by a society is not found in its sciences, technology, or "quality of life". Rather it is found in the manner in which its citizens treat each other - in which case we are just "high tech barbarians".

      Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

    • Jan-Simon Hoogschagen
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
        As far as I know, chip carving does not exist on early medieval
        furniture and other surviving pieces. At least, I have not seen it
        mentioned in the books, or saw pictures of it.
        As already said in this discussion, it does appear on chests from the
        13th / 14th century.
        I will check the book by Florian Westphal this evening (beautiful book
        by the way), when I am back home to see if I have not missed any chip
        carvings. Will also go through Barbara Grodde's book on early medieval
        furniture, just in case.

        best wishes,
        Jan-Simon

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney

      • kjworz@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
          A lot would depend on your definition of chip carving.

          Does it have to be in wood?

          What we recognize today as chip carving has roots in the styles that matured in Switzerland post period.

          Every treatise I read about Chip Carving always say that "is an ancient method of decoration" but never cites examples. Citations, the lack thereof, is a bane to our research.

          Links
          http://www.caithness.org/community/crafts/chipcarving/McIvorandAllen.htm
          cites especially the geometric carving influence from Islam

          http://www.fifulls.com/site/837579/page/45030

          --
          -Chris Schwartz
          Silver Spring, MD

          From: "Jan-Simon Hoogschagen" <jan-simon@...>
          > As far as I know, chip carving does not exist on early medieval
          > furniture and other surviving pieces. At least, I have not seen it
          > mentioned in the books, or saw pictures of it.
          > As already said in this discussion, it does appear on chests from the
          > 13th / 14th century.
          > I will check the book by Florian Westphal this evening (beautiful book
          > by the way), when I am back home to see if I have not missed any chip
          > carvings. Will also go through Barbara Grodde's book on early medieval
          > furniture, just in case.
          >
          > best wishes,
          > Jan-Simon
          >
          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
          > <bmatney@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > We have taken photos of chests (of about that date) that have rondels
          > > decorating them in chip carving. Of other earlier surviving carving
          > > (such as on early stave churches), I have not found chip carving and
          > > was hoping that someone else had.. given the quote from the book that
          > > I posted with the question. I'll check Barton's books (don't have any
          > > of his) and see if he has earlier examples or others that we do not
          > > have. Lazy I guess, looks like lots of ILL of German Holzfunde...
          > >
          > > BTW. There is a new book out on Holzfunde from Haithabu (wooden finds
          > > from Hedeby)... bit pricey with the exchange rate though.
          > >
          > > Holzfunde von Haithabu (Gebundene Ausgabe) von Florian Westphal.
          > > Gebundene Ausgabe: 248 Seiten Verlag: Wachholtz; Auflage: 1 (2007)
          > > Sprache: Deutsch ISBN-10: 3529014117 EUR 70,00
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Beth
          > >
          > > At 07:30 PM 10/6/2007, you wrote:
          > > >That's going to be tough since wood tends to deteriorate. You might
          > > >check Wayne Barton's books, I've seen some pix of early work in
          > > >there - nothing before 1300, I believe.
          > > >
          > > >Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:
          > > >I did a search as you suggested, but could not find early examples..
          > > >(lots of post 1600 though). I'm looking for really early examples of
          > > >chip carving.. preferable pre-1000
          > > >
          > > >Thanks
          > > >Beth

        • Bruce S. R. Lee
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
            In stone, do a search on 'Jesus Family Tomb' - at least one of the
            ossuaries has 'chip' carved rosettes. Photos are in the May/June 2007
            (vol 18 No.3) issue of Minerva, if you local library gets it.

            There are a lot of 'chip' carved designs in stone from the
            'Classical' world, just that the amount of surviving wood is very
            limited. I'll have to do a quick search of my Roman woodworking books
            to see if anything survived from Herculaneum.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney
            Rowany/Lochac