New Trestle Table

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
      I'm working on a new trestel table... the three legged 'sawhorse' style.

      The cross bar is beech, the legs are maple, the wood is all scrounged
      from scrap in the shop where I work.....

      I'm probably not gonna be able to claim that pieces big enough for a table
      top are 'scrap'

      I'm thinking of an clear oil/poly finish.....

      Interesting ideas for the top? Needs to be hard dense wood but not necessarily
      a 'period wood'. A third type of wood that might be neat looking.....and not too
      expensive...I haven't gone shopping yet so I haven't even looked for possiblities
      yet.

      This is not an A&S table, it's just an excuse to make some sawdust.

    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
        Don't suppose that shop where you work has a pile of quarter-sawn
        white oak just laying about for you to scrounge?

        Aside from that, maple makes a nice hard table surface.

        PS - you know that poly finishes make the baby Jesus cry... ;)

        Geoffrey B.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007

          Don't suppose that shop where you work has a pile of quarter-sawn
          white oak just laying about for you to scrounge?

          I'd be working on mission/art's and crafts stuff if they did.

          Aside from that, maple makes a nice hard table surface.

          PS - you know that poly finishes make the baby Jesus cry... ;)

          I was planning on a oil-poly blend that looks like an oil finish and
          protects like poly.....  General Finishes makes it. I really like it
          for non-A&S projects

          http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10928&filter=general%20%20finishes