populace choice vs judged A&S

  • Brian Tychonski
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007
      I will say this much for the populace choice awards, they at least reward skill over scholarship. I'd MUCH rather be in a competition where the winner is the person who produces something that a large group of people at least find interesting than a competition wherein the winner is not selected on the difficulty of the item, or the level of skill demonstrated as much as by who can produce the best looking modern display. Does it really show that someone possesses an exceptional level of skill as an artisan if their entry is a bone comb (just an example because of the minimal skill involved) that took 2 hours to make while their multimedia presentation took 8? Versus the item that took 30 hours to produce with documentation that took 30 minutes? Don't laugh. In Atenveldt documentation is 50% of the total number of points. You can win A&S with minimal actual skill as an artisan as long as you can produce sharp enough looking presentations on how you made them. I'm of the opinion that documentation should be no more than a third, but it's 50% here. You should not be able do shoddy work and beat someone who does excellent work as long as you can package your documentation well enough.

      Brian Broadaxe
    • Kristine Elliott
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
        On 9/2/07, Brian Tychonski <BrianBroadaxe@...> wrote:
[...]

        Forgive me, I am catching up on my email from the week-end.

        Bone combs are easy to make???

        Scolastica
        --
        http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

        If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
        'em how to dance funny.  Billy C. Wirtz