Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Dovetails

  • Larry Marshall
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 5, 2003
      > Of course it weak, but why was it used. Using the assumption that
      > Medieval craftsman aren't stupid... why did an inherently week joint
      > survive as long as it did? They saw the results for themselves.

      One thing that historians need to keep in mind that the people and processes
      they study weren't equipped with Internet communication. Ideas/inventions
      changed more slowly than most modern folks expect. So did incremental
      improvements on a technique.

      --
      Cheers --- Larry Marshall
      Quebec City, QC
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 17, 2009
        I am interested in locating some details
        (including images) as to the construction of the
        St. Paulinus (died 358AD) Trèves (transferred
        395AD) coffin "joined by means of dovetailing".
        As the wood is described as 'cedar', there is
        some question as to where the coffin was made.

        From page 219,
        Battiscombe, C. F. The Relics of Saint Cuthbert; Studies by Various
        Authors. Oxford: Printed for the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral
        at the University Press, 1956. OCLC 4071903
        http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/4071903

        footnotes 10/11 refer to detailed accounts of the
        coffin in Bonner Jahrbücher vol. lxxvii, 1884,
        pp. 238 ff; vol. lxxviii, 1884 pp. 173

        Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn, and Rhine
        Province (Germany). Bonner Jahrbücher. 1842.
        ISSN:0067-9976 OCLC Number: 3459165 or OCLC
        Number: 213803943 microfilm, OCLC Number: 297237884 eJournal

        If anyone has seen the coffin or the journal
        articles referenced above (or preferably a more
        recent analysis in English), please post the
        information. It would be most appreciated,

        Thank you.
        Beth Matney