Re: greetings... and an inquiry

  • kjworzie
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 5, 2003
      I'd love to know if there are any examples from the 13th C. Even
      14th. Either in furniture or text.

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Hayes
      <von_landstuhl@y...> wrote:

      > http://www.geocities.com/gpkillen/) who told me dovetails are found
      on
      > Egyptian furniture.
      >
      > I wouldn't worry too much about angles. I doubt there's any
      > documentation to prove or disprove standardization of dovetail
      angles
      > during the SCA time period. Heck, one could argue that they're not
      > standard now....
      >
      > If you tell me what time period you're going for, I'll see if I can
      > scan something and send it to you.
      >
      > Ulrich

    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 17 11:23 AM
        I am interested in locating some details
        (including images) as to the construction of the
        St. Paulinus (died 358AD) Trèves (transferred
        395AD) coffin "joined by means of dovetailing".
        As the wood is described as 'cedar', there is
        some question as to where the coffin was made.

        From page 219,
        Battiscombe, C. F. The Relics of Saint Cuthbert; Studies by Various
        Authors. Oxford: Printed for the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral
        at the University Press, 1956. OCLC 4071903
        http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/4071903

        footnotes 10/11 refer to detailed accounts of the
        coffin in Bonner Jahrbücher vol. lxxvii, 1884,
        pp. 238 ff; vol. lxxviii, 1884 pp. 173

        Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn, and Rhine
        Province (Germany). Bonner Jahrbücher. 1842.
        ISSN:0067-9976 OCLC Number: 3459165 or OCLC
        Number: 213803943 microfilm, OCLC Number: 297237884 eJournal

        If anyone has seen the coffin or the journal
        articles referenced above (or preferably a more
        recent analysis in English), please post the
        information. It would be most appreciated,

        Thank you.
        Beth Matney