Re: [MedievalSawdust] Pi AND MAGIC

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 24 10:31 AM
      I agree with your last points, in that its over used, and said to exist where it doesnt.  that gets annoying at times.  then again, ive designed things myself, found that measurements of cerrtain things come close, and nudge a width or length in the final phase to create a phi ratio.

      On 8/24/07, AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:

      And my point is, the numerical systems have nothing to do with it.  When you ratio two numbers, the units become irrelevant; pi and Phi are exactly the same no matter whether measured in cm, inches, feet, rods, or furlongs.  That's the real beauty of geometric design.

      Pi and phi are also both still very much in use; pi because it's inescapable, and phi because it works so well for design.  Many people write about phi as if it were some long-lost "secret" design method, but in fact it has been in more or less continuous use for centuries, including the last two.  (There is also a tendency to find it wherever you look, whether it was present in the original design or not... so you can find these elaborately contrived diagrams to illustrate Phi in some Gothic cathedrals, for example, where the major elements of design are clearly not based on it.  Some modern writers tend to over-prescribe phi, in my opinion.)

      Cheers,
      Colin

      leaking pen wrote:

      my point wasnt that they got rid of the ratios, but that older systems used them in determining measurements.

      --
      That which yields isn't always weak.
    • Craig Robert Pierpont
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 25 9:13 AM
        It is not insignificant that during time periods in which there were more measuring systems than time zones, craftsmen thought in ratios much more than measurements. With measuring systems based on ratios, scaling is almost automatic. Add to this the equivalent of story poles and similar templates and you have a system that is pretty much independent of nationality, language, and the current king's shoe size.

        Craig Robert

        Craig R. Pierpont
        Another Era Lutherie
        www.anotherera.com