greetings... and an inquiry

  • kjworzie
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 5, 2003
      I'm a new SCA member, but have been to a couple of Pennsics. I am
      not new to handtool woodworking and have been a Galoot since at least
      1997. Alas, the period I had been emulating with that group of
      Oldtool user/collectors was "older than my dad, but not as old as my
      grandfather...."

      I have a website from long ago: www.bustedtruss.com

      I know a crap load about hand tool _methods_ used in many periods,
      but what I don't know... could fill a library. And I know less about
      finished _projects_ in period. And I have a feeling that there are
      quite a few present on this that have forgotten more than I will ever
      know on both counts.

      I need to figure out a use for this couple hundred boardfeet of WIDE
      Walnut I have in my basement. It was only a buck a board foot at
      that country auction, so I guess I could just use it as firewood....
      Naw. I need to spiff up my kit. And I have Rubbermaid containers
      that could be transmogrified into wooded chests.... I'll make a bed
      later, but chests are my current project.

      {upon re-reading the last two paragraphs I sure do sound like a bit
      of a braggart. sorry about that, it was not my intention to do any
      more than convey some humor. please assume i am much more humble
      than that and i will be ever in this company's debt.}

      To that end (the project end...), I'm starting out making Viking
      style chests, ala Mastermyr with some left over oak, but I want to do
      dovetails on that Walnut for future chests. My period library is
      limited, and web searches find dovetail joinery only used late in
      period. (and the shape of the tails have more of an acute angle than
      is fashionable in the 18th C, and looks really cool because of
      that....) What is the earliest citation anyone has on dovetail
      joinery for boxes or coffers or chests?

      Thanks

      -Chris
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 17, 2009
        I am interested in locating some details
        (including images) as to the construction of the
        St. Paulinus (died 358AD) Trèves (transferred
        395AD) coffin "joined by means of dovetailing".
        As the wood is described as 'cedar', there is
        some question as to where the coffin was made.

        From page 219,
        Battiscombe, C. F. The Relics of Saint Cuthbert; Studies by Various
        Authors. Oxford: Printed for the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral
        at the University Press, 1956. OCLC 4071903
        http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/4071903

        footnotes 10/11 refer to detailed accounts of the
        coffin in Bonner Jahrbücher vol. lxxvii, 1884,
        pp. 238 ff; vol. lxxviii, 1884 pp. 173

        Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn, and Rhine
        Province (Germany). Bonner Jahrbücher. 1842.
        ISSN:0067-9976 OCLC Number: 3459165 or OCLC
        Number: 213803943 microfilm, OCLC Number: 297237884 eJournal

        If anyone has seen the coffin or the journal
        articles referenced above (or preferably a more
        recent analysis in English), please post the
        information. It would be most appreciated,

        Thank you.
        Beth Matney