Re: [medievalsawdust] What's up?

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 9, 2002
      Then I just got ahold of Diehl and Donnelly's
      "Medieval Furniture: Plans and
      Instructions for Historical Reproductions" Nice book
      (ISBN 0811728544 for those interested)

      How about a book review?
      That's the second one isn't it?
      You do know that some of the measurements
      in the 1st book ( ISBN 0-8117-2795-5 )are
      off? Be careful with the numbers in this
      one too. Check them first. I think American
      Woodworking did an Article that corrected
      some of the information that was wrong in the
      1st one. I'll check into this....

      I've got to work on tables and benches for
      Pennsic, ( and then talk someone else into
      carting them around..... )and a new bed, and
      4 pairs of the folding coffer chairs and a
      single chair ( commissions )

      ( pics of chairs in photo area of the group page
      Where's everyone else photos? hint hint hint...)

      and a new gateway for Pennsci and a
      smaller tabel for events and a couple of
      chests and and and and and and and.....

      Conal

      ps Rhys, You wanna come down for the oaken
      A&S? I got crash space. Bring your lovely
      lady....

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 9, 2002
        A book review will have to wait a couple weeks, I got draggoned into writing
        a couple articles for Artes Draconis, and I only have about 2 weeks. But I
        would be happy to do one.

        I am making another of the Viking beds
        http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/bedplan.html

        as a gift/commision (I offered to make one for the cost of the wood). My
        Baron and Baroness are viking and really liked my bed.

        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        ...Take time to dance in the rain...

      • vinlandar
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 11, 2002
          Conal,

          Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges you received? A
          good source of period looking and maybe even primitive looking hinges
          would be very nice.

          -Charlie

          --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 12, 2002
            lee valley has hand forged hinges
            I haven't used them ( the other project
            was a tourney prize and I had a bit of
            a budget...

            got pic's of what you are planning?

            Conal

            --- vinlandar <vinlandar@...> wrote:
            > Conal,
            >
            > Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges
            > you received? A
            > good source of period looking and maybe even
            > primitive looking hinges
            > would be very nice.
            >
            > -Charlie
            >

            > --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
            > <baronconal@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Yea, I got them and couple of catalogs that
            > > the locals have threatened to steal.
            > >
            > > Thanks for the tip!
            > >
            > > For those that don't know what we are
            > > talking about, check out....
            > >
            > > www.leevalley.com
            > >

            > > Conal
            > >
            > > --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
            > > > And very well done from the pictures I have
            > seen.
            > > >
            > > > Greetings Conal my friend!
            > > >
            > > > Did you get those hinges?

            > > Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free
            > email!
            > > http://mail.yahoo.com/

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • vinlandar
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
              Hi, Conal,

              yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from whence I will be
              drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a simple chest to
              keep some of my stuff in.

              stool:
              http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

              Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit, and make mine
              about half as long as this one.
              http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

              I have done a little working with wood before, but I am not an
              experienced woodworker.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                If you are gonna go as far as
                doing a reproduction ....
                ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                ... find a blacksmith and get the
                hinges custom made. He/She might
                help you make them, or just want a
                little help with some grunt work in
                trade.

                Where are you?

                Conal

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                  they are not Viking...

                  but check out...

                  http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

                  Conal

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                    Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's items. I
                    even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his items.

                    HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor Christienson, the
                    curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities of viking
                    artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the items are
                    period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking Captain
                    Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                      Thanks, Captain,

                      I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                      Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                      to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                      little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                      the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                      passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                      there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                      toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                      would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                      the maker or the buyer.

                      Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                      that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                      the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                      stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.

                      Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                      meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                      works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                      L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                      chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.

                      If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.

                      -Charlie

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 14, 2002
                        An excellent book indeed. And I am considering making that chest myself.
                        If you research the Gokstad and Oseberg burial ships, you will find that
                        they carry beds that did vary to individual needs. Making that stretch for
                        other items seems reasonable.

                        >Thanks, Captain,
                        >
                        >I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                        >Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                        >to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                        >little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                        >the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                        >passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                        >there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                        >toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                        >would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                        >the maker or the buyer.
                        >
                        >Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                        >that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                        >the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                        >stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.
                        >
                        >Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                        >meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                        >works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                        >L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                        >chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.
                        >
                        >If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.
                        >
                        >-Charlie
                        >

                        >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                        > > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
                        >items. I
                        > > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
                        >items.
                        > >
                        > > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
                        >Christienson, the
                        > > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
                        >of viking
                        > > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
                        >items are
                        > > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
                        >Captain
                        > > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
                        > >

                        > > >they are not Viking...
                        > > >
                        > > > but check out...
                        > > >
                        > > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
                        > > >
                        > > > Conal

                        > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                        > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                        > > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
                        > > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                        > >

                        > > --
                        > > YIS,
                        > >
                        > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                        > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                        > >
                        > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                        > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                        YIS,

                        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                        Privateer to the Midrealm

                        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                        ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                      • Scott Lane
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                          >If you are gonna go as far as
                          >doing a reproduction ....
                          > ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                          >... find a blacksmith and get the
                          >hinges custom made. He/She might
                          >help you make them, or just want a
                          >little help with some grunt work in
                          >trade.
                          >Where are you?

                          I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local people
                          :) Let me know what kind you need?

                          Aodhfin
                        • vinlandar
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                            --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
                            > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
                            people
                            > :) Let me know what kind you need?
                            >
                            > Aodhfin

                            Ahodfin,

                            Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
                            the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
                            and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

                            -Charlie
                          • Helen Schultz
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                              These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

                              ~~ Katarina Helene

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 11, 2009

                                Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

                                http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                Will