bentwood boxes

  • Schuster, Robert L.
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
      hey you woodworkers

      In an article from Fine Wood Working magazine on bent wood boxes (which can be seen here btw http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/archives/FWW/Vol_68-73,_1988/MarchApril,%201988,%20No.69/Norwegian%20Bentwood%20Boxes/), page 85 states that a bentwood box was amoung the remains of the Oseberg find.

      I am hunting direct reference to this item, I am scanning thru the Osebergfundets to see what I can come up with but wondered if anyone had already researched the subject and might offer some information on the subject.

      Halvgrimr
    • Schuster, Robert L.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
        if any one has any problems with that link, take the comma and the close parens off.
        some are seeing this problem, some aren't
        weird!
        Robb

        In an article from Fine Wood Working magazine on bent wood boxes (which can be seen here btw http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/archives/FWW/Vol_68-73,_1988/MarchApril,%201988,%20No.69/Norwegian%20Bentwood%20Boxes/), page 85 states that a bentwood box was amoung the remains of the Oseberg find.

        I am hunting direct reference to this item, I am scanning thru the Osebergfundets to see what I can come up with but wondered if anyone had already researched the subject and might offer some information on the subject.

        Halvgrimr
      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
          This type of box seemed to be in Germany too. In "The book of Trades"
          from 15-something-or-other, there always seemed to be bunches of these
          on shelves in the background.

          Ulrich

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com